what is the best way to feed your baby his first baby foods?

do you feed him cereal along with a fruit like bananas and formula all at the same time and if so, do u do it for each meal or just one or what?im getting ready to start my baby on baby foods and not sure how to go about it all

soundsdisco

Asked by soundsdisco at 4:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best thing to do is start rice cereal, single grain..at 6 months so they are ready and they're digestive system can handle it. Then slowly introduce other stage 1 solids..you can even give oatmeal here and there. With the flavored cereals, I'd go slow...you need to test each new food introduced over a period of 3-4 days if there's no reaction, then there's no allergy. You should for example do carrot's for 3-4 day's, then pea's etc until all the basic fruits and veggies have been given for 3-4 days each. Best way to do it, is to try to feed baby when you eat, this shows them it's a family meal together type thing...unless it's lunch and you can't really do that, then you put them in a chair with a tray highchair etc and use a BPA free bowl and spoon!
    Anonymous

• 6 months of age- no less.

No purees, no spoon feeding, no jarred foods, no mashed food, no baby foods, no baby cereals etc.

Just what you are eating,
    if you think this is crazy - just look here - http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/ --- and here --- http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Start with rice cereal at 6 months, then when he is handling it for about 4 days, introduce something simple like mashed bananas (separate from the cereal). THE best baby food book out there is "Super Baby Food."
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 4:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• once you know your baby isn't allergic to apples, you can put apple sauce in with the rice cereal to add flavor. banana's can cause constipation so you might want to give those the least.
    Anonymous

• I have a 4 1/2 month old and i have started her on single grain rice cereal from a spoon in the morning. If your baby is onyl getting breast milk and has NEVER had not even an ounce of formula then most likely your doctor is going to tell you to wait untill your baby is 6 months old! other wise if he has had formula at any time in his life then at around 4 to 4 1/2 months he is ready for just plain rice cereal with nothing in it except the formula used to mix it up. When he is much older then it is ok to add fruit. My ped. says to feed in the morning when they first wake up and are the most hungry and therefore will be more likely to eat the cereal. Make it really thin at first then as he is use to it make it thicker for him. Never put the rice cereal into his bottle because he will start to associate food with a bottle and make it harder for him to learn to eat from a spoon or fork. hope this helps
    KeagansMom08

Answer by KeagansMom08 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• The best way to introduce a baby to food is to do it around 6 months. That way they can sit up and feed themself to help them regulate their intake. Also that baby cereal is devoid of any natural nutritional value. I fed DD whole grain toast, rice, and pasta.
    MalhotraFamily

Answer by MalhotraFamily at 6:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i started feeding my LO rice cereal with DHA when he was 5 months old I made it very watery becasue that is what he is used to eating (milk) I fed him a little bit ( 2-4 times a week) then it was every day only about a TBLS. When you get to baby food my advice is to always start with veggies because they are bitter and fruit taste good. It gets him used to the taste One veggie at a time to see how he reacts for about a week then you can try a different one.. Dont rush into the Gerber 1st stage when it is Garden veggies or things with more then one thing because if your LO has an allergic reaction you won't know what set it off. Now i mix carrots and cereal together. give him sweet potatoes and he loves them but i would stress on the veggies first
    hope this helped Good Luck
    LoganBear

Answer by LoganBear at 8:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Oh yes and when you introduce banannas mix them with the rice cereal because it can consitipate them
    LoganBear

Answer by LoganBear at 8:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I started my baby girl on rice cereal at 5 months. I gave her 1 teaspoon of cereal mixed with 4 teaspoons of formula. I gave it to her about 2 hours after her first bottle of the day. Every couple of days I would increase the cereal and put less milk with it. I also started oatmeal and barley after she had the hang of rice cereal. About a week of just cereal I started with sweet potatoes. I would give her one veggie or fruit at a time and wait 3 days before I would give her a different one. She's just about 6 months now and has mastered all stage one baby food flavors. I also make my own too. She loves avocados. I now give her cereal with fruit mixed in the morning and in the evening I give her a veggie.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Feb. 8, 2009