How do I break a fever that my toddler has?

My daughter is 18 months old and has a fever between 100 and 102. Last night we went to the ER for vomiting but that has stopped. She will only eat bits and pieces of crackers and is drinking pedalite and water but her fever is still high. How can I get it to break? We have tried Tylenol and a luke warm bath. She has only had one dose of tylenol and one fever-aid (the rectal kind). Any help would be great!!!

pcricket1008

Asked by pcricket1008 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if it isnt high why would you break it?a fever is a sign that the body is fighting off whatever sickness she has. its a good sign and is natural only worry when it gets extreme.
    Anonymous

• It's not that high....no need for panic, but do monitor. When it's up to 102 or higher definitely give the Tylenol.

What I was told by our pediatrician (but my son's fever was 103) is to give the Tylenol and wait for 1 hour. Take the temp again. If it has gone down, then wait for another hour and take the temp again. If it has gone down...super!!! If it has gone back up, give the office a call.

Since she's fighting an upset tummy, try not to give Motrin as it can make the stomach upset by itself (my son can't take it when he's well even). But f her stomach has settled and she can usually take it then you can alternate the two every two hours if her fever rises and stays up.

I would call the peds office and note what they want you to do, though...this is just what ours says to do.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• rotate with tylenol and children's ibuprofen but if the fever tends to spike... plz take her into the er high fevers causes fever seizures also give her pediacare liquids... they have flavored ones... if she doesn't eat that's ok as long as she is getting fluids... her appetite will come back when she is feeling better...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• when my dd gets like that they told me to strip her of everything but a diaper dont even let her use a blanket it will bake her and switch every 2 to 4 hrs between tylonal and motrin hope this helps!!
    Mother_18

Answer by Mother_18 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i just had a similar issue with my 3 yr old. all you can really do is give the tylenol and baths and if after 2 days it hasnt broke on its own call the doc. but if its higher than 102.5 call the doc. it may need to be brought down at the hosp. otherwise its best to do what you can at home. and make sure to push the fluids. its ok if for a day or two they dont eat. i know my 15 months wouldnt eat anything for 5 days cause he was teething. the doc said as long as he got his fluids not to worry too much.
    newmamaof3

Answer by newmamaof3 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Keep her hydrated. If the pedi says it's ok, alternate between motrin and tylenol. You give the motrin first and then after three or four hours, give a dose of tylenol. You can also try a tepid bath to bring the fever down. Also remember that in the late afternoon/early evening time, babies body temps go up a bit on their own naturally. Hope she's feeling better soon!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009