can i give mucinex to a 2 1/2 year old child?

geslila

Asked by geslila at 6:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2012 in Health

• Only under doctors supervision. Call your pediatrician and speak to the doctor on call if necessary.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2012

• Ask the child's doctor, please.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2012

• I was told by another mother on this site to give my 2 year old daughter Mucinex for her cold/cough because she gives it to her kids.
    I didn't, but suggested it to DD's pedi and the pedi said no way, no type of cold medicine until the age of six now.
    There are a few cold medicines safe for 2 year olds but they're all natural ingredients such as honey.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 6:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2012

• what's wrong with her that you are jumping to medication?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2012

• I didn't, but suggested it to DD's pedi and the pedi said no way, no type of cold medicine until the age of six now.

^^^^'
    This is because many people do not understand meds and many meds have multiple ingredients. I had a frank conversation on this topic with my long time pharmacist. This is sad. I go 'natural' for my kids as much as I can, but sometimes medicine is best, especially for rest. I am glad I kept a log of medicine when my older kids were younger, not my youngest (3) doesn't have to suffer. I am glad that my child's doctor knows me well enough and for enough years to trust me with giving my youngest meds.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2012

• I was told by a pharmacist that I could give DD who is 2 5mL of mucinex a day. The ped told me nothing at all (though there is a prescription that they will give to ages 2-6). They just refused to give it to her even though she coughing was so bad she couldn't even sleep. I gave her 5mL in the evening to help her cough so she could sleep.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2012

• AF--That is what I give my DS. Like I said-it was fine when my older kids (who are now 24 and 22) and it was even fine for my now 13 year old when he was a child. The problem isn't "we found it is bad for kids" the problem is parents abuse it and young children's bodies can handle that abuse.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2012

• Call your doc!
    teeg1

Answer by teeg1 at 2:58 AM on Sep. 23, 2012