Is there an easier way to potty train?

My daughter just turned 4 she goes pee in the potty very well. She has been for a while but she still poops in her underwear. I don't know how to encourage her. I did the stickers, candy and ice cream to help her go poop in the potty but she just picks her corner and poops in her undies. I though at this age it would be easier for her. I don't know what to do. Please help. It's getting very frustrating, shes getting her poop on her clothes and then she tries to put her poop in the toilet from her undies but gets it all over the place.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 5:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does she always use the same corner? Put her potty there. When she gets comfortable on it, start moving it closer.

If she is using the big potty, you might want to get her a little one for right now. Some kids see poop as an extension of themselves and get upset thinking about it going down the drain.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Two of mine did this, then I was given this wonderful article that a pedatrician wrote, it said that we don't give our kids enough credit in the potty area. Candy and treats should not be rewarded for something that they are expected to do. At their age they know where the poop and pee goes. Consequences(not punishment)for their actions are okay. Like, make her take a shower every time she does it. Changing clothes because it doesn't feel good, those kind of things. I know it sounds harsh but I was at the end of my rope. As soon as I held her accountable, she stopped! iT WAS AMAZING!! And she was very proud of herself. She even wipes her own butt since then too! Show her she can do it. I told mine"you are a big girl now, there will be no more accidents" It was almost affirming it for me and her. Good Luck!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• my son was really anxious about pooping in the potty, so we used the 'potty training in one day' method for BM and pee. Basically, when he had an accident, we would have him do practice runs from various places in the house 10 times in a row. Each time we would say 'now when youre in this room and playing/whatever, and you have to pee or poo, where do we go?' then you take them to the potty, and have them take down their pants and sit, then get back up and repeat.

It gets VERY old VERY quickly, but you cant give up, and you cant get mad at them when they kick and scream. Just explain that if they dont like practicing, then they cant have accidents. They quickly understand that its easier to go potty than take time away from playing.

worked like a charm for us. took 2 days, but now hes completely trained.
    awesome.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• there are other things involved in the potty training in one day method, but i really believe the practicing is what makes it work. you just can never make it feel like a punishment.. just accountability.
    redderbedder

• my daughter used to do that all the time have u tried to go back to the potty chair or putting her on the toilet backwards.. sometimes that helps..
    MadiMatt12

Answer by MadiMatt12 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have three boys and had the same problem, Set up a rewards system. Everytime she goes and sits on the toilet give her a small suger free candy, if she goes #1 give ger 2 and #2 give her three and once she gets the hang of it slowly start omitting the candy with more praise. It work for me maybe it will for you
    P-B4-we-go

Answer by P-B4-we-go at 4:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009