Is this a bad habit?

My baby's daddy puts karo oil (a flavored oil, sometimes used in tea or coffee) on my son's bink to get him to take it. I didnt like it at first, but then i tried it and now he takes it more often. I don't even really have to use it anymore. Is it bad for him? he acts fine and is perfectly healthy whenever we go for a check up. btw, if u think this is a bad idea, try to be nice when u say so please..... :)

Duskee

Asked by Duskee at 5:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Do you mean Karo Syrup? I hear people give a little to their baby's bottle to help with constipation, so I guess it's not that bad, but I would stop before his teeth come in.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I meant to their babies in their bottles
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• if it is Karo Syrup (i.e. corn syrup) that is straight up high fructose corn syrup. You can google for the reasons why HFCS is baaaaad.

Can I ask why you need to entice your son to take his paci? I guess I dont understand why, if your son doesnt want it, you feel the need to make him take it anyway? just curious.
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 8:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It sounds like Karo light syrup and not oil. I have given a little bit of Karo dark syrup to my children in thier bottles when they were constipated and it helped them for that reason. High Fructose corn syrup is bad, but moderation is not so bad. I just heard that it stays in your system for a looooong time, I also heard that it is supposedly illegal to add to food in all countries but ours (but don't take that for a fact cause I am unsure myself). I also would not make a baby take a pacifier if they really don't want it- not only is that a fight, but it will be a HUGE fight to get the pacifier away once they are too old!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• From Karo's website:
    We are aware that some health care professionals suggest feeding Karo syrup to infants in a formula or for relief of constipation. Because corn syrup, like many other foods is not a sterile product, there is a remote possibility that it may contain C. botulinum spores.

These spores are common in the environment and generally not harmful to older children and adults. In fact, in the FDA study conducted in 1991, corn syrup and other syrups are not identified as food sources of C. botulinum spores for infants.

However, because Karo is not specifically intended for infant feeding, we suggest you consult your pediatrician for advice.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• A little bit won't hurt unless your a freak that thinks everything will kill your baby. lol.
    Just putting a small dab on it is not enough to do anything at all.
    Anonymous

• My MIL Is From Mexico And She Would Give It To My DD Occasionally. They Have Been Doing It Down There For Centuries. It Is Basically Sugar So Don't Over Do It.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 10:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• ok, ty everyone :)
    Duskee

Answer by Duskee at 11:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2009