Question about having a second c-section

How different is your pregnancy once you have had a c-section? Is there a longer recovery time if you have another one? What are the risks involved with having more then one c-section?

Asked by Rissknight at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2012 in Pregnancy

• On my second, I was still only 23. I had the first at 19, so I attributed a little longer recovery time to the difference in age.... All in all, I was up in a day and home walking around town in a week. I remember I took the baby for a walk at one week... that was my first major outside walk.

Answer by m-avi at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• I had one when I was 22 (I'm 24 now) and the 1st one was went pretty smooth so I'm hoping that the next one will be the same!

Comment by Rissknight (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• It should be. I never, ever, had one ounce of problems with either one of mine. They were a total breeze.

Answer by m-avi at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• if you purposely have a 2nd c section you can pretty much kiss goodbye a future vaginal birth with a decent doctor.

for a VBACx2 you'll have to hunt like crazy for a provider who's supportive and even then the hospital might say no way at any point, even after your water breaks,

even a midwife for a home birth is likely to be nervous.

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My first c-section went smoothly, but I had a rough recovery after my second. I think my second recovery was worse because I had a second incision and I had severe pre-eclampsia so my body was recovering from more than a surgery.

Answer by shesliketx at 4:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My recovery time was the same as my first one. There really was no big difference between the 2 expect the first one was an emergency c-section and the second was planned.

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• i'm scheduled to have a second one and my big concern is if they cut you in the same place or if i'm going to have a second scar? I didnt think to ask my doctor at my last apt.

Answer by shay1130 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My second pregnancy was the same other than the continuous naushes feeling I actually recovered faster with my second child. I went through eleven hours of labor with my first she turned and I had an emergency c section I think just the abuse my body took the first time is why recovery was so awful. I was up the second day doing normal things with my second I got released early.

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My son was born by emergency C-section. It took me a couple of weeks to recover. 3.5 years later my daughter was born via planned C-section. I was, slowly, waking through Target the day I was discharged from the hospital; so about 3 days.

*I* think the recovery time was shorter with the planned C-section than the emergency one.

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• The recovery from my 2nd csection was much shorter than from my first. Not sure if it was actually easier or if I knew more what to expect.

Answer by missanc at 12:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2012