Question about having a second c-section

How different is your pregnancy once you have had a c-section? Is there a longer recovery time if you have another one? What are the risks involved with having more then one c-section?

Rissknight

Asked by Rissknight at 3:49 PM on Sep. 22, 2012 in Pregnancy

• On my second, I was still only 23. I had the first at 19, so I attributed a little longer recovery time to the difference in age.... All in all, I was up in a day and home walking around town in a week. I remember I took the baby for a walk at one week... that was my first major outside walk.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:53 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• I had one when I was 22 (I'm 24 now) and the 1st one was went pretty smooth so I'm hoping that the next one will be the same!
    Rissknight

Comment by Rissknight (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• It should be. I never, ever, had one ounce of problems with either one of mine. They were a total breeze.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• if you purposely have a 2nd c section you can pretty much kiss goodbye a future vaginal birth with a decent doctor.

for a VBACx2 you'll have to hunt like crazy for a provider who's supportive and even then the hospital might say no way at any point, even after your water breaks,

even a midwife for a home birth is likely to be nervous.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:03 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My first c-section went smoothly, but I had a rough recovery after my second. I think my second recovery was worse because I had a second incision and I had severe pre-eclampsia so my body was recovering from more than a surgery.
    shesliketx

Answer by shesliketx at 4:05 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My recovery time was the same as my first one. There really was no big difference between the 2 expect the first one was an emergency c-section and the second was planned.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• i'm scheduled to have a second one and my big concern is if they cut you in the same place or if i'm going to have a second scar? I didnt think to ask my doctor at my last apt.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My second pregnancy was the same other than the continuous naushes feeling I actually recovered faster with my second child. I went through eleven hours of labor with my first she turned and I had an emergency c section I think just the abuse my body took the first time is why recovery was so awful. I was up the second day doing normal things with my second I got released early.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• My son was born by emergency C-section. It took me a couple of weeks to recover. 3.5 years later my daughter was born via planned C-section. I was, slowly, waking through Target the day I was discharged from the hospital; so about 3 days.

*I* think the recovery time was shorter with the planned C-section than the emergency one.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:44 PM on Sep. 22, 2012

• The recovery from my 2nd csection was much shorter than from my first. Not sure if it was actually easier or if I knew more what to expect.

Answer by missanc at 12:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2012