Am I the only one who didn't know this?

http://www.stophitting.com/index.php?page=statesbanning. It is actually legal for schools to physically discipline kids in 19 states?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/mom-angry-male-vice-principal-spanked-her-daughter-234456335--abc-news-topstories.html.

Seriously? So a parent spanking their child is abuse, but a school official can paddle a child and that is just fine and dandy? The article also states that just last year (2011) Texas and North Carolina mandated laws stating the parents could decide not to have corporal punishment for their kids....so up until 2011 schools in these states could paddle kids without contacting their parents? WTF? Also found out that Colorado, where I went to school for 7 years is one of the states that allows this. Am I the only one that finds this so wrong?

Yes, I spank my child, but I would never allow anyone else to do so, unless it was either my parents or DH parents and they were babysitting and I was not there. I would definitely not allow anyone to EVER paddle my child.
Also the mother says this girl's butt was blistered and the school said that is normal after getting spanked? Sorry my kids butt has never been blistered.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 1:08 AM on Sep. 23, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I spanked my children when they needed that degree of discipline. I didn't hit them. I didn't talk to them in a way that made them feel small or the cause of all my problems (as some do). I didn't use them as the excuse for why I couldn't do better (as some do). But, there were times they needed a couple of swats on their butts. They tell me, as adults, that the spankings let them know behaviors were serious, there are consequences to pay, and that I loved them enough to make them learn that lesson. Also, I have spanked students. Both times were for calling me a bitch. Both times were because the student asked to do something and were told not right now. I got called a bitch, they got a couple of swats in the principals office, and we finished the rest of the year on a good note. Spankings don't hurt kids. It never did. It helps them learn parameters when other disciplines didn't work.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:10 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• I did not know this either!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:41 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Wow it's totally wrong !
    I'm in France and physical punishment by school is totally illegal ! I wouldn't want physical punishment to my kid with or wihtout my knowledge !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 3:22 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• I don't physically punish my kids and I expect all other people in their lives to do the same. No one has a right to put their hands on my child.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• I was kinda surprised they still did it or had it as an option. My state no longer does it. Back in the day, I do remember when the "board of education" w/ holes drilled in it, was used. The room would get eerily quiet & you'd wait for the swat & to see if the kid cried. You were also glad it wasn't you! :p  There has to be a happy medium between paddling & calling the police on the kid.  Parents & schools need to put their heads together so we're all on the same page.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:48 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• I grew up going to school where nuns were in charge...what do you think? Though I do have to say they rarely paddled anyone and it was never girls
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:30 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• I knew about this and it's been pissing me off for a while. But I don't see how any parent who thinks that spanking is ever okay can really be all that shocked. This is how our society treats children - and many parents are adamant defenders of spanking. People who would never NEVER allow someone to spank them (it's totally humiliating and unacceptable for an adult to be spanked, right?) somehow feel it's okay to spank other people as long as they are a lot smaller.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:26 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• It's been legal in NC for as long as I can remember. Had a spanking or two when I was in school. My son (I didn't give permission b/c of his special needs) brought home the "do you give the school permission to administer corporal punishment" permission slips home on the first day of school every year and this was in the 90s.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:57 AM on Sep. 23, 2012

• its still done where i live but i have the choice if i want them to or not. im gonna pass! lol
    lil-thumper23

Answer by lil-thumper23 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Sebbie, so because I as a parent spank my child (Because it is the only thing that works for her) can't be pissed that some people think it is OK for a non-parent to paddle a child with an object? Yes, I spank my child when she does something dangerous or does something to hurt her little brother, but I would NEVER be OK with anyone other than me or my husband spanking her. I definitely wouldn't be OK with anyone ever spanking her with an object at all.
    Adnilm, my dad was sent to a Catholic boarding school for a few years (this was late 60's early 70's) and he was hit with rulers more times than he count. Guess what? He hated nuns for a long time, and now while he has gotten over it he still dislikes them.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Sep. 23, 2012