My son wakes up crying from naps

My son is 14 months and sometimes he wakes up from a nap crying like crazy. It's a different cry than normal. He cries for about ten mins. then he is fine. I can't destract him with toys or his suppy cup. I can't figure out why he does this. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My twins do this from time to time too. Just do the best you can to calm him and if nothing works, just let him be and he'll calm himself down.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• my 3 yo does this. the inconsolable cries my doc said are "night terrors" the difference between them and nightmares is that a child wakes up and can be comforted and a night terror cannot be comforted. just hold your child and just tell them you love em whether they hear you or not. most children grow out of these before preschool. you could even try waking them up and askin whats wrong. sometimes the waking them up stops the episode
    newmamaof3

Answer by newmamaof3 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Sometimes they can do that if they're overtired. My oldest does it occassionally after an exciting day but he usually falls back to sleep afterwards...if he doesn't he's a major crab for a good 15 min.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My daughter does this occasionally. I just figure its a nightmare or she wakes up and is disoriented. She usually calms down after some cuddling. For a baby it must be scary to wake up and be "alone" so they react out of fear and cry.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 10:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My baby does this also (15 months). I agree that it is because he is over tired.
    andrea1975

Answer by andrea1975 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009