Breast feeding and pumping!!

Im going to start pumping and freezing my milk. So is it better to pump after baby has been feed...or what!?!?

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say after or in between sessions. If you pump after it will be the hindmilk that has more fat. Pumping in between can also work and up your supply.
    Anonymous

• The best way I have found is to feed baby on one side and pump on the other....you get better let down that way, but it takes some time to master.

If you aren't able to do that, everything I've read says to pump midway between feedings.

Also, it's common to have a lot of extra milk in the morning, so first time in the morning is a good time to pump also.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 9:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I always pumped in between. My daughter nursed every 2 hours on the dot. I usually would pump an hour in between. I had a really low milk production so it helped to increase my production to do this. I did pump the heck outta my boobs in the morning and I tried to pump a crapload at night before bed...engorgement sucks!
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 10:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You'll have to try different things to figure out what works best for you. Women make the most milk in the early morning hours so I usually recommend that first thing in the morning you nurse and pump on the other side or nurse and then pump both sides immediately afterwards to build up a freezer stash.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2009