car accident

I was recently in a car accident (driving my mothers car) and the other driver was perfectly fine. and now supposedly she is injured, can the insurance company come after all my moms savings? has anyone been in this situation im in need of advice or somthing im stressing on to of everything else i have to worry about ):

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm the victim of a car accident. First my insurance pays all my medical costs. Then they go after the other drivers insurance for reimbursement of those costs. Then my attorney put together a "demand" letter to the other drivers insurance attorney. They failed to pay or answer the demand within 30 days, so now we move on to court. I am asking for a specified amount from the drivers insurance. You as the driver are liable. If you were not sufficiently insured, they can go after the owner of the vehicle in any way they see money.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• OK SO IF MY MOTHER HAS MEDICAL INSURANCE? 50 TO 100 THOUSAND . AND IF THATS TAKEN OUT OF HER INSURANCE IT SHOULD BE SETTLED CORRECT?
    Khyries_Mommy

Answer by Khyries_Mommy at 6:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Medical insurance isn't car insurance.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You have to parts to your policy. You have car which is settled usually quick and first. You can sign off on the car repair and then move to injury. So lets say they have an SUV and repairs are 40K and your policy is only 30K then you are responsible for the other 10K. Same with medical. If you injure them then it goes to the bodily part. Mine is 300/100K. Which means I am covered for up to 300K per accident at 100K per occurance. So yours maybe 100K/50K which is 100K at 50K per occurance. Most lawyers usually try to find out what the insurance is and goes from there. Because most don't have the money.

Her insurance agent should have talked to her about this. Most do large policies if there is a large asset or house involved to avoid them losing it. Hopefully your mom has enough insurance that it won't be an issue.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 7:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• thank you i know medical insurance isant car insurance, you dont have to be rude. there is medical coverage included in car insurance! but partiesbyjan thanks i understand. yea i think it should be coverd i just didnt know cuz its her insurance and i was driving....
    Khyries_Mommy

Answer by Khyries_Mommy at 9:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i was sued for $85,000, she sued for pains that could not be medically found, her car & hospital expenses that my insurance already paid & "loss of enjoyment of life"! My car insurance company paid for a lawyer for me and would cover up to $50,000. The accident was in 2005 and did not settle until 2008 3 weeks before the trial date. The insurance company kept offering her an amount $15,000- $20,000 but she would not except. But once they realized if it went infront of a jury she would end up with nothing because of her lack of medical evidence (and she also refused to be medically checked at the scene of the accident) they settled for $21,000 that my insurance company covered. i would have only had to pay out of my pocket if she was granted more then $50,000. It's a long and annoying process but your mother should look over her policy and call her insurance provider to see what they can do.
    MattysMommy143

Answer by MattysMommy143 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• also be aware they will probably come after you too, but your mother's insurance will prob cover that too. Just don't back down, they are just scumbags looking for a free payday!!!! i hate people like that!!! Good Luck :)
    MattysMommy143

Answer by MattysMommy143 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• yessss thats what im sayying! she was fine!!!! smoking ciggarettes annn everything she had said she just got her car out of the shop... sooo im thinking she shoulded be driving!!!!!! but yes free pay day my ass not from me baby! thnks soo much
    Khyries_Mommy

Answer by Khyries_Mommy at 9:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2009