What would you do if a friend of your came around with her 4 year old child, and breastfed them like it was no big deal while you were having a conversation?

(This has not happened to me! And I'm not breastfeeding a 4 year old! Totally hypothetical question.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would mind my own business.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Nothing, but I would probably ask her all about it.

That really isn't a particularly odd situation for me - I myself was breastfed until I was almost 3 and I am now breastfeeding a toddler - so I am very pro extended breastfeeding.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would think it's weird and I wonder why she was doing it in the first place. I child that old shouldn't be attached to her mom's boobs. They should be learning some independence and playing with other kids.
    Anonymous

• Agreed, I would probably mind my own business.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would ask her why she breastfeeds. If she says because breast milk is good for children, then I would tell her that she could still give her child breast milk because she could pump. I would tell her that I think breastfeeding a 4 year old is kind of strange and might have BAD psychological effects on the child.

Anonymous

• look the other way. 4 years old is way too old to bf, imo.
    Anonymous

• I certainly would have some odd thoughts, but I wouldn't say anything.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I often wonder if people truly understand the ignorance that flows so freely from their mouth. For those so disgusted & what ever other ignorant words they can throw out there, educate yourself because you are only showing your stupidity.

There is absolutely no shame in extended breastfeeding!! It shows a smart and concerned parent that should be commended. I wouldn't bat an eye if my friend breastfed her 4 yr old, if anything I would commend her.

Anonymous

• I am pro breastfeeding and pro child lead weaning so I think that it would be great that she was too. However, if it is something that would make someone feel uncomfortable and they were in their own home then they would have the right to ask her to stop. If it was in public and the laws protected her then there would be nothing you could do about it.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I totally agree Anon 5:38...only in America.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2009