What age did you start to potty train and how do you know they are ready?

My 1 yr old does not like to wear a diaper and does not like to have poop on her butt for too long. She wakes up at night if she gets too wet and wakes me up to change her. What do i do? She cannot tell me when she has to go so how do I know?

Blessedmommy215

Asked by Blessedmommy215 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think it would be a good time to start introducing her to a potty. maybe a small one on the floor. let her sit on it while u do. sometimes u can let her sit on it until she goes, then reward her. she will catch on soon it sounds like... also if she is big enough u can get pullups and panties. both of these worked on my oldest. she will learn how tell u. it will most likely take some time, but stick with it... also it depends on her age. if she is too young maybe her verbal skills just arent there to tell u when she has to go
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 7:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• it sounds like to me she may be ready for a potty chair. take her to the store and have her pick one out and introduce her to it at home. try every 30 mins to put her on it and have her sit there for as long as you can. 5-10 mins is ideal. and real soon shell be able to recognize the feeling of when she has to go keep in mind when she goes you have to reward her in sum sorta way and get super stupidly excited about it so she knows that she did good and thats the kind of behavior/action you want from her. she will be very eager to please. most kids are.
    newmamaof3

Answer by newmamaof3 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My children were dry at night at 3 years, so that is when I trained them.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• the question is: when are you ready for it?!

takes a lot of time and effort.

the babies are ready at around 10months, because thats when they are basically allowed to sit up for more than 2-3 minutes by themself.

have a daily routine on when (exact time every day) you sit her on the potty. so she will get used to the time and will be able to hold it for a couple minutes. but like i said, it will take a lot of time.

wish you good luck :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009