My three year old won't sit down and eat!!

Every meal is a battle. She gets up countless times over and over. I don't want her choking or traveling food all over my house. I believe that meal time is meal time. Not play time. I have tried telling her if she get's up she's done, but then she won't get enough food. I tried no snacks in between if she chooses not to eat, thinking she'll be good and hungry and no luck. Same thing..any ideas?

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 6:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son does this all the time. I tell him if he doesn't want to eat that is fine but he can't get up until everyone is finished eating.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You should follow through with your threats. If you say once you get up youre done, then stick to it. She might be hungry for a day but she will learn that when mommy says something she means it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• But it doesn't go on for just a day, I have followed through with it, she just won't eat and she acts like she really doesn't care! If I do that every time than she doesn't get enough to eat. She is the most stubborn kid out of my four! Unbeleivably stubborn!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• She knows you will give in. She won't go too hungry and a few days of "not enough" isn't going to hurt her.

She gets up from the table, it's over. Get up immediately, remove her plate and clear it off.

Either that or stop letting her get up from the table. Don't let her down until she's had a minimum amount from her plates (we have a one bite per year rule here right now). We also have a "sit there until daddy is done" rule for supper when their dad's home.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2009