Well water and teeth?

Welp, about a 5mos ago, i realized that the enamel of my daughters 2 front teeth was chipping off..By her gum line. I took her to the dentist..And he said that it was because I was real sick thru ou the last semester of my pregnancy..I could never keep the pre natal pill down also..I didnt agree with me.

Welp her 2 year doc apt, I asked her PED about her teeth..And he said that it was because of he well water. We were living at my parents at the time and they were living off of well water. I did not have a clue that well water was bad for you childs teeth.

i feel horrible!

has anyone else been in the situation?

chakerilynns

Asked by chakerilynns at 7:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Did you take her to a pediatric dentist?

I'm not TOTALLY buying the "didn't take prenatals" theory...I didn't take any with my last two sons at all and their teeth are fine.

I've not heard the "well water" theory before...or had any experience there so I can't speak about that one....I know well water wouldn't have flouride, BUT...well,...I'm just not sure that makes any sense either. (but..don't know)

How are the teeth of the rest of the extended family on both sides? It could be something genetic, too.

On the other hand..some people just have bad teeth. I really don't think it's anything YOU did or didn't do.....(my opinion)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• We have well water. When the kids were little their pediatrician prescribed vitamins with fluoride.

Answer by Bmat at 7:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It's the lack of flouride in well water that concenrs docs and dentists, but I don't buy the whole ingesting flouride theory to help teeth. The treatments they put right on the teeth may do something, but not ingesting it. Any way I have bad teeth and was the same way as a child with flouridated water and my son now is too with non flouridated water. It can be a genetic condition that gets past down and as soon as your child can be trusted to not swallow the flouride rinses they sell in the stores I would start using them.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i live on property that is welled. and neither of my sons have problems from it. never heard that thoery. i dont think its anything you did or didnt do. i know that there are bad teeth on my mothers side. to which when i was pregnant like all the other women in my family i lost my teeth. (gotta love that family trait!!!! lol) hows the genes on both sides?
    newmamaof3

Answer by newmamaof3 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Yes he is right because well water is not flourinated like city or town water is. Buy a childrens flouride rinse and have her use it after she brushes her teeth. I grew up on city water but moved to the country when I was 12 and we had well water and my enamel like evaporated
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 2:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2009