Do you think its possible for a person to not realize how much of a 'B' they can be?

I use to work with this girl, and she was always hurtful in her answers to anything anyone would say to her. She just had a tone, she was short with people, and she would be downright mean at times. One day I stood up to her and said 'Do you really have to be so nasty to everyone?!' She seemed shocked that I would ask that, but then said 'What do you mean?', and I explained to her how we all perceived her. She claimed she honestly didn't realize she came off that way. Reason I bring this up is that when I read peoples questions, I also read a lot of answers that I think sound fairly rude, and I wonder if those people realize that's how they're taken? What do you all think?

sarah6183

Asked by sarah6183 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Some people are in denial. Other's know it but don't care. Then there's the one's who do realize it and feel bad later on.
    Anonymous

• I think internet is hard because you don't deal face to face so people are freer with their comments as you aren't held accountable. Some people are really direct or stressed and so they come off as rude when really they feel they are just getting the job done effectively and productively. Others are just mean and enjoy sending the zinger to get a rise out of people. These people are unhappy or depressed. My two cents!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i know when im being mean, but i guess not everyone does
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I think they know most of the time. If they are posting in here as Anon. then they DO know that they are being rude and post as Anon. so they won't be identified. A lot of people take it as a joke around here and just post rude things for fun. If you get a rude comment, even from an Anon. you can click the Report this Answer button and the Cafemom team can deal with that person. Anonymous is only for us. Cafemom can see who the Anon's actually are and deal with them if they need to. People in real life who are rude are a different story. Sometimes they think they are better, or cool if they are being rude. Sometimes they don't realize how rude they sound, or may be under a lot of stress at home/work you never know.
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 8:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I think sometimes people who have a very direct personality may not see themselves as being mean. Other don't care, others do it on purpose (as someone mentioned above). I know when I'm being mean, but I HAVE been in situations before where something I said was misunderstood, or misconstrued, and it's almost always in writing/over the internet where we can't hear the tone of people's voices or see their facial expressions. But that's just me being diplomatic. Some people are just b*tches. :D

BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 8:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I don't think I realize how much of a bitch I can be to my husband. I think it's just in my tone of voice and it comes out harsher than I mean it too.
    Anonymous

• I KNOW SOME PEOPLE CAN----AND i THINK THAT THEY THINK IT IS COOL
    joanne580

Answer by joanne580 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I do think that sometimes people don't realize how their coming across. My family always says if I'm not smiling, I look pissed off. Didn't realize what they were saying until I saw a picture of myself. It's just my look.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I agree with the most recent anon~ my BF is always telling me that i dont have to have such a tone, or say things with attitude... and i dont realize that i do till he calls me out on it... lol. oops!
    sarah6183

Answer by sarah6183 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2009