How did you potty train your DS?

My son is a little over 2 years old. He has gone in the potty on occasion, and will ask to get out of the bath if he has to go. However, usually he just doesn't care and would rather have a diaper on. Any ideas? I would really like to stop buying diapers.

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 5:09 PM on Sep. 23, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until they turned 3. Then I said "tomorrow you will wear big boy underwear! Yay!" I bought 20 pairs of their favorite character underwear. I stayed home for 3 days. It's important that you stay home, so wait until you have 3 days to devote to this. In the morning I put them in underwear. I took them to the bathroom every 1/2 hour. Sometimes they made it, sometimes they didn't. I kept very positive and gave m&ms every time they tried. The second day they started to feel it before they went. The third day they were completely trained. Not at night, that takes longer. I never put them in diapers or pullups during the day again. Good luck!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• then stop. make 100% sure he see's you toss out the remaining ones.

you need to be TOTALLY committed to messes and accidents. If you flip flop and backtrack you'll end up but 5T and 6T pullups.

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• remember, the poor kiddo has no clue what they're doing. you've spent the last 2+ years having him make 7-10 pee's a day in a diaper. Now you need to re train that and it's a process.

I found great value in the first 2-3 days having my son just spend a LOT of time on the potty. you need to occupy him with books, a video, talking to gramma on the phone, etc. and just LISTEN. listen for pee (Poop will come later, more likely than not) he will probably have no idea he went til u show him. get used to the sound, and eventually the feeling.

those muscles in the bladder/pee pee region need to strengthen up and he needs to learn what the urge means. this can be sped up by upping his drinks so he does need to go more. now is the time for juice, chocolate milk, and salty snacks. product more pee, increasing your odds of a successful potty trip so that you can celebrate the wins (and forget the oops's!)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:20 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• try to make it fun by tossing some Cheerios in the toilet for target practice.  You can offer incentives, like a toy or something, but that's no guarantee that he will keep it up after getting the prize.  Start with a sticker chart and if he makes a week then take him out for something special (like desert or a special dinner).  Give him small goals and work up from there.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• I used cheerios for both our boys. They loved hitting them!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• It was a long process with all of my boys. Put him in underwear as much as you possibly can (diapers and pull-ups ARE easier, but not as effective). I used the pull-ups when I just needed a break from the messes. :)

Try lots of different methods until something works. With one son - cleaning up his own mess and changing his own clothes worked for him. He HATED that and stopped peeing in his pants within a week or two. With another son it didn't work. He LOVED cleaning up. LOL! WIth him I only allowed one pair of pants a day. If he wet them he had to go naked. He hated that. With another son - treats worked wonders!

Be patient! It can be a long process, but he will eventually figure it out.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:36 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• We started out wearing undies at home. Dh had a talk with him about how big boys don't use diapers. We went and bought a training potty and at first we let him just sit on it in his clothes around the house so he got comfortablet with it (I have the cutest pic of him sitting on it next to Dh's chair reading a book). Once he was comfortable with it we explained that it was time to start using it. he was really excited. We had a "party" when we used the last diaper and he got to pick out new big boy undies and whenever he made it to the potty we made a big deal about it with a song and dance and he got a treat! We had some accidents along the way but nothing horrible or that scarred any of us along the way. Since he got into undies he has never used diapers or pullups.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 6:31 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• i think if he is telling you when he has to go in tub he is getting the idea. its a sticky situation. i would try paying close attention to when he pees and then trying to get him to try in big toilet. my friend suggested chocolate chips one for pee two for pooping. its one of those crazy things you kinda got to figure what works best to motivate him.....good luck and be patient.
    lil-thumper23

Answer by lil-thumper23 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• He's not ready. Wait until almost 3. We started with my son sitting down and aiming downward, since when he stood he couldn't reach the toilet. We had a step stool but he didn't want to use it, because daddy didn't use one. Thank goodness we have tiling on the walls. I found packing peanuts that melt when they hit water. They do have potty training aiming toys for boys. I would throw a couple in the toilet and told him to blast away at them. He loved that. That made it fun and easy to potty train him. My dd wanted to do it too, but you know anatomy, not quite possible.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:16 AM on Sep. 26, 2012