How do I keep my son's penis from adhering?

My son is 7 months old and every once in awhile his skin will adhere to the tip of his penis and it is very painful to separate the skin (it is red and irritated underneath.) His Pediatrician has seen it and seemed like it was a normal thing.
I try to check it with every diaper change but sometimes it is hard to tell. Any one else experience this? I have a hard time caring for a penis not having one myself. lol.
Any tips? Other than "you shouldn't have had him circumcised" please.

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 7:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DR. told me to try and pull the skin back from the head with every diaper change. I never had that problem, but that is what she recommended after his circumcision. You may not have to do it every time, but at least once or twice a day should help.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• You need to pull back the skin and clean it, at least once a day. If it's red and irritated, put a little petroleum jelly on it, like when he first had the circumcision.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My ds gets this often and the pedi has had to pull off the adhesion! Now every diaper change I pull it back to expose the head and out A&D ointment on it to give it a little lube. Every back I pull it back to make sure to clean it. I dont know why this happens? Its weird!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Wait so he IS circumcised? I've only heard of this happening when they aren't.
    Anonymous

• yes, he is circumcised.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Geez, ya'll make me glad I've got DAUGHTERS! lol

I always did wonder how I'd handle it if I had a son though....after looking at little girl 'baby parts' for almost 3 years, I'd think to change a diaper and see a penis looking at me would shock me for some time! lol
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i pull my sons back every diaper change and put a & d ointment on it. at his first checkup the ped had to pull the skin back because it was stuck, but since then i havent had a problem
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I agree with A&D ointment. It's been awhile since my youngest was that little (6 years....*sniff) but that's what we used.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 12:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2009