Nap time

How many naps does your toddler take? When do they usually take a nap?
For the last 6 months DD has been only taking one nap. Usually around 10 am to noon. The last week even though she is fussy she has been fighting nap time (almost 2 hours before she finally naps). Today I am going to try nap time after lunch instead of before lunch (hoping it works). Wish me luck that she won't sit in there talking/crying for 2 hours before she finally falls asleep for 2 hours.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 8:37 PM on Sep. 23, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kids transitioned to one nap, they kept the morning one. (Even though that seemed backwards to me since they'd been in bed for a 12 hour stretch just a few hours earlier....) But that's the way they did it....they gave up the afternoon nap and stayed awake for that very long stretch until bedtime.
    Eventually, the morning nap shifted a bit later to an early afternoon nap. But for whatever reason, they didn't drop the morning & keep the afternoon nap....it was this other way around.
    So to me, it seems pretty familiar and maybe that's what your daughter is doing, shifting to a later nap like mine did.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• good luck

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:18 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• mine is 3 and she still naps but there are alot of varieables. we dont do them everyday, and what time she goes down and how long i let her slep depends on: what we are doing that day, how much she slept night before and most importantly her mood. lol
    lil-thumper23

Answer by lil-thumper23 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• My dd turned 2 in July. She takes a nap from 1:30-4 every day. My ds will be 4 in November. He stopped sleeping around 3 1/2 but still has a rest time to lay down quietly and look at books.

Answer by missanc at 10:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• My DD will be 2 soon, she takes 1 nap a day. It is pretty much from 1:00 - 3:30. She sometimes does not want to go to sleep, but I turn on a music box, rub her back, arms, legs, and head for about 5 minutes, rewind the music box and leave she is pretty good with falling asleep shortly after.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:44 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Well, I think the later nap time is what needed to happen. She ate lunch at 11 and I laid her down at 11:15ish. She did fuss for a bit, but I got out of the shower at 11:45 and I have yet to her noises from her room, then again she could just be tricking me.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• 10 am seems kinda early! Not sure of her age, but as children get older they need more time awake. For awhile my DS would go down at 11:30ish and eat lunch after. But he slowly moved his nap to around 1 and slept till around 3. Now he's 28 months and going down from 2-4! It's hard when their schedule changes, but try to flow with it :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• GirlwithC, that is exactly what DD did. She went from a morning and afternoon nap to only a morning nap (though she would sleep for 2.5-3 hours). So far changing her to later has worked, she fell asleep within 30 minutes of me putting her down yesterday (which is a HUGE improvement).
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• My son will be 1 October 12th and he normally takes his first nap from noon to about 1:30-2:00. Then he will take another on from 4pm to about 5:00-5:30pm. Fortunantly for me he usually falls right asleep. Sometimes he might play in his crib from 20 minutes before he wears himself out and passes out. My nephew who is 3 cries and yells for about an hour or two before he takes his nap so I can relate to what you are going through. Good Luck!!!
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 10:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2012