Do you remember when you had "the talk" when you were a kid? How'd it go?

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It was on the way home from the Dr. for a sports physical. I think I was in 4-5th grade. I was uncomfortable seeing a male pediatrician and my mom said it was time to get a lady one then explained it all. We also had sex ed in 5th grade so I would have heard it anyway.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It was in a car on our way to another city. It was horrible and I had already had sex by then. It should never be just "a talk". It should be an ongoing conversation.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Never did have one and I regret that. I think I would have made much wiser decisions had my parents sat down and spoke to me even if it would have been the most uncomfortable moment of my life. The closest my mom ever came to having that talk was once when I was 14 and we were watching a movie and a scene with a 16 year old couple were getting ready to do it and she looked at me and said "if I ever catch you doing that at 16 I'll kick your butt". That was it.
    Anonymous

• I remember... My mom said... Do you know how to have sex? I said yes. She said Can you tell me? I did. She said Okay, If I ever find out you are I will beat you with in an inch of your life...

I was 14 and was already rather active... She didn't find out until I was 18 that I wasn't a virgin...

So yes, I remember and it didn't go well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My mom was the book lady. She would find an age appropriate book for whatever she was trying to say. It really blows me away how many parents don't do the talk. It's very insightful to hear what other people did.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It was a gradual process--answering a few questions and trying to be "age appropriate". Its important to know and be aware of dangers and risks and birth control. Also,a discussion of self respect and knowing that it is wrong to sleep around,etc. is important and my Mom was very good about it discussing it all. She set the bar,so to speak for me when I talked to my kids. They are all married now and happily faithful and they were always responsible and careful. Religion wasn't really an influence in it--just self respect and monogamy were the man things to be stressed.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Ha, my parents were UBER uncomfortable. I think they first talked to me when I was about 9, then again at about 13, then again at 16. I didn't have sex for the first time till I was almost 18 years old.

I could practically see the sweat pouring off my dad's head with each question. I finally just stopped asking because he just started looking sick. LOL
    I went through most of my teenage years with unanswered questions or things I just picked up here and there....I was never one of those teenagers who was interested in sex though. I always knew I wanted to wait, and no amount of 'if you love me' pressure could make me change my mind.

...and I never regretted my decision.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Wow am I the only one that knew when I was an actual kid and not already active? It's taught in the schools--what sex is, how a baby is formed, different changes that girls and boys go through. Then more STD and prevention/consequence in what seemed every grade past 5th. Although my mom told me about it, when I actually had sex I never told my parents. I like to think they thought I waited until my wedding day. lol
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I never looked at my parents the same again....blah.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• My mom just told me what the word "fuck" was and how to do it and to not do it. That is a crazy talk coming from a mormon mommy.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2009