Help! I weighed 11.2 when I was born. Is my baby going to be the same size? My mom didn't work out and went 2 weeks late.

I plan on working out, eating healthy, and delivering csection(have too) at 39 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• why do you have to have a c/s? I am assuming this is your first otherwise you'd have a previous baby to judge weight gain by.

My daughter has been the biggest baby in the family lol.. genetics play some part in it but it doesn't mean that you will have a big baby.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• No there is nothing that says your baby will be that big. Every baby grows differently. If the baby was going to be that big your doctor would have some idea of that by now. If you are having a c-section then you dont have to worry about the baby being big because its not gonna get stuck in the birth canal. They dont even allow you to go 2 weeks late anymore. If you work out it just gets your body in better shape and not necessarily the baby. Every once in a while you have a big baby but most babies are a normal size. It could be possible that your mom had some kind of condition like gestional diabetes or something that caused you to be a bigger baby. I wouldnt worry about it. Im sure your baby will be a normal size
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 8:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Well I was a little over 9 lbs and DH and all his siblings were 10 punders. Our kids were both just over 7 lbs. So not you are not necassarily going to have a large baby. I have a cousin who has had 5 kids who range in size from 7 -12 pounds and they actually got smaller as she had more! Please read up on the reason your doc says you HAVE to have a c-section. Most are not really neccassary and are done because the doctors are afraid of being sued IF something does go wrong and it makes things more convenient for them to schedule things. As for NOT allowing you to go 2 weeks over due I am wondering where that is. Around here they still ALLOW you to go 2 weeks over due before inducing. But this is your body and your pregnancy and they cna't MAKE you do anything you don't want to. Unless there is some reason (like decreased fluid or something) there is nothing wrong with going 2-3 weeks overdue.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Is it possible that your mom had some undiagnosed issues?
    Personal story time :P I was induced with my first one. He was projected to be well over 10lbs. My husband was born 9lbs6oz 3 weeks EARLY. I was FREAKED. I had gdm. Panic overwhelmed me and when the doc said he'd induce I jumped on it. I took pitocin for 6 hours before I took an epidural. Everything (aside from unworldly pain of pictocin- it's evil!) went great. My milk however, did not come in. Idk if that was because I went before my baby was ready or not... Could be though. All that stress and he was only 8lbs6oz. With his brother I waited... 5 days late and he was only 8lbs11oz. See how little a week's difference makes?
    Labor isn't as bad as all the crazy women tell you... every amount of pain is completely paid off in the joy you get holding your newborn. I know the fear of the unknown is great! But try to do some research, K? Big doesn't = bad
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Do you have a reason for a cesarean??

Lots of women naturally deliver bigger babies, not necessarily something to worry about! Certainly no reason to add big unnecessary risks to yourself and your baby. My friend is a size 2 (or 4?) and petite, she had a natural waterbirth with her 12.5 pounder, so why not?! My 10 pounder fell out of me soooo easily, not even a perineal tear!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• my sister's first baby was 5 lbs 11 oz. when he was born. her second was almost 12 lbs. and ironically, the second birth was easier than the first. my son was 5 lbs 6 oz. at birth. and it was hell. everyone is different. the only way to know how big the baby is is thru your o.b. doctor. and even if your baby is large...it doesn't necessarily mean that the pain and delivery will be any worse than if the baby were small.
    spazz1007

Answer by spazz1007 at 3:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2009