Why do CM's think its okay for their teens to look at porn?

There was a post a few days ago about a 15 yr old looking at porn and most of the mothers said its normal so let him. I can't fathom this. Just because its normal doesnt mean its right. When did we start teaching our kids that if their friends do it, they can too??

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 8:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• A fifteen year old is not mentally or emotionally equipped to be looking at porn. It could distort or give him wrong ideas about sex , women and relationships. He is just learning about his place in life, who he is as a person! It could be damaging when he really has sex and realizes it's not what the movies and magazines make it. Porn should only be okay if both consenting ADULTS are okay with it. Just because my husband drinks a beer, doesn't mean I give one to my fifteen year old kinda thing.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Wow. My son is only 6 months old. I have never even thought of this problem. Oh how I dread the teenage years...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Um, not THIS CM!

I'd knock my son's eyes out of his head and bury them if I EVER caught him looking at trash like that! Lets see him try to look at it with no eyeballs! lol

For some reason, moms seem to have a double standard when it comes to their sons....its ok for their sons to look at that smut, but heaven forbid their precious DAUGHTERS come across it. It wasn't normal for ANYONE in my house at ANY AGE to look at porn, so I don't understand where this 'its normal' crap comes from.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• if its good enough for the goose, you know that saying..the ones who easily dismiss it for their teens easily dismiss it for their husband's and themselves.
    Anonymous

• Thats a good point peaches. I think the double standard is also with their sons and their husbands. Its ok for son but not hubby and vice versa.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I don't think Porn is okay for anyone. It is demeaning and base and not right. JMO.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I certainly wouldn't go out and buy the teen porn and if it was found in their room it would be trashed, but I don't know that DH or I would make a huge deal of it either (age would be a factor, 13 is not the same as 17). DH and I enjoy erotic adult entertainment. We have both enjoyed it since we were teens. Certainly if it isn't something you are okay with them it isn't going to be at all okay for your child, so I have to agree with the anon who said "what is good for the goose" though I don't know that it was said with the kindest connotation (just the impression I got). There are some parents that don't think that flaking responsibility is a big deal, and that is usually because they do the same thing.
    Anonymous

• Yes it's normal (gotta love teenage hormones) but when I caught my 15yr old looking at it on his computer last year I freaked out and took his computer away for 6 months. He was so embarrassed for getting caught by his mom I don't think (at least I hope) he won't look at it again.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I guess it would depend on the porn. I mean, as long as it's not animal porn, or weird furry porn. I wouldn't care.

Porn is porn, though a lot of porn sites have viruses so I would discourage it for that problem. I was looking up smurf porn and got a virus when I was 17. I had to explain why it was on there...learned my lesson. =[.
    Anonymous

• ha ha anon 8:08 I've looked up smurf porn too...the stuff papa smurf does to smurfete is just wrong! LOL
    Anonymous