When buying a home, what do you look for?

Mrs_Harsh

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 10:08 PM on Sep. 23, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Aside from the area of town and school district, I look at:
    The Roof
    Siding
    Floors
    Plumbing, flush all toilets and run every faucet
    Check linoleum in bathroom for leaking faucets etc.
    Kitchen is very important to me.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Oh, and price and school zoning are the very first things that we look at.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:17 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Well, you look for what's important to you. I wanted a townhouse so I wouldn't have to care for a big yard or shovel snow, which would be difficult for me. I wanted a quiet neighborhood, but one that wasn't too far from a bus route so I could get to stores and the bank and such. If I had known I was pregnant and about to have an instant family before I closed on my house, I probably would have searched for one with a few more bedrooms. Some people want a lot of space for entertaining. Some people want a nice view. Some people want a home they can get for a good price and fix up as they live in it. Some can't live without hardwood floors or attached garages. It just depends what your needs are. I wrote down a list in three parts: what I had to have, what would be nice to have, and what I definitely didn't want. Then I set a limit on what I was willing to pay each month and stuck to it. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:26 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Right now staying in my school district & particularly staying in my DD's Elem school zone would be the most important. Then I'd need 3 bedrooms, 2 baths an area for the computer. I don't like the idea of the children's bedrooms at the front of the house by the front door, especially if they are far away from the master.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:28 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Location, Layout, good condition, not gonna cost you a lot right up front unless you are purposely buying a fixer upper... um, idk those are the main things I guess :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:49 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Laundry and bedrooms on the same floor. Never making that mistake again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Were the house is, what part of town. How big or small the rooms are. If the floorplan works for you. As in where the bedrooms are. Is their a masterbath. Then look to see if the house looks old or new. Updated or outdated.

Answer by louise2 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• A yard. A master bedroom that is separate from secondary bedrooms. At least two and a half bathrooms. 4+ bedrooms. I like a three car garage, but settled with 2. Closet space and if there isn't a hug amount of closet space, some organization to the closet is always nice. A good sized kitchen with gas range and electric oven (preferably convection). Lots of cupboard space and a good sized pantry. I don't care about having a formal living room, but if it doesn't have one I like an office. Coat closets are always nice, I don't currently have one though (weird). Oh, and an indoor laundry room.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• Location, New, at least 2 bathrooms, and one bathroom near kitchen/ garage a 1/2 bath, toilet separate from master bath. A huge back yard or several acres.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 23, 2012

• We wanted a well built older home that we could update and make our own. At least 3 bedrooms, with a yard, in a good location, and I really really wanted hardwood floors, but for a good price. I'm sure there were other things on my house wish list, but this house is so prefect for us right now.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 11:43 PM on Sep. 23, 2012