How do you get your children to eat more in the mornings before school

cloud1

Asked by cloud1 at 5:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it depends on how much you want them to eat ... The easy way in our house is to give them the cereals they like. That's how we come to have 4 different boxes open in the kitchen :) I also make sure they have plenty of time to eat. The less stress there is the more they seem to eat.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• My now 12 yo went through a period of time around 2nd-4th grades where he didn't want to eat breakfast. I didn't worry much because he had 1st lunch those years, so he was eating lunch at 10:25! I did make him at least drink some juice and made sure he had a healthy fairly large snack when he got home from school. Now that he's older he eats breakfast but he still doesn't like to eat first thing and not very much. You can't force a child to eat, just make sure they have healthy foods that they like available.

Answer by missanc at 6:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• well, my almost 6 year old would eat cereal every morning if i let her, so i only let her have it for breakfast every other day, and she'll eat 2 big bowls of it. on the "off" days, she eats things like french toast sticks, oatmeal, waffles, etc. then, i always drop her off at school a little early so she can go to the cafeteria and get herself a chocolate milk or more food if she wants because our breakfast program at school is free, so i know she starts class everyday with a full stomach.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Just curious, tnm786, but what's wrong with eating cereal every day?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I give my kids what they like, which for my son is cereal. Then I stick a banana in his face and make him take 3 bites. My daughter loves oatmeal, so she is easy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• i'm not sure what 'more' would be for your child.
    mine eats just fine in the mornings, for lunch, and dinner. no problems at all!
    for breakfast before school, he might eat cereal (a slight bit more than a serving), a turkey sausage link or two. he might have a banana in stead of cereal. he has had waffles, or biscuits/gravy, or scrambled eggs and turkey sausage link.
    no matter what he eats, he always wants those turkey sausage links. lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• If my son doesn't eat at home, he won't eat at school. And that means anything, unless it's something he likes. He is a very picky eater so I at least try to make sure he gets some protein to keep him full. I will try and do eggs with some turkey sausage and toast. Today we were running a little behind so he just had eggs and milk, but it's better than what they serve at school.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I don't try to get them to eat more in the mornings. They are old enough to know that if they are hungry before their lunch that it's because they didn't eat enough breakfast.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Find something they like. I have discovered that my kids are completley happy with a hard boiled egg and some toast. I boil the eggs the night before and they are ready to grab and go.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I find that with my 5yo, she responds well to a smorgasbord of finger foods. I take a divided tray and put things like hard-boiled egg, fruit, nuts, and cereal into it, and she grabs some while she plays before school. I serve it with a cup of milk, and she sips that, too.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2012