My MIL keeps calling me "the 13 year-old babysitter"

I know she doesn't mean anything by it. It's because I am short and I look young. I will be 30 next year. I can't help but feel funny about the statement though. People are always treating me like a kid because I look so young. I just can't stand how people treat me differently because of my height and appearance. I do not dress young at all. The youngest thing I wear is a t-shirt and jeans and that's only around the house. Should I just let it roll of my back, or should I tell her to stop? I know she is not trying to insult me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Relationships

• i'm 5'0 and i look 12 most the time, i just brush it off.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 10:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• LOL I'd start calling her something insulting about being old. :) but that's just me
    if it bothers you, politely tell her it hurts your feelings even if she doesn't mean to and ask her to stop.
    Anonymous

• im 4'11'' and look like im 15 but im 28, alot of ppl make short jokes and i still get ID'ed, when pple make short jokes i just say "oh gosh! here comes all the short jokes!"

you should be lucky you dont look like someone in thier 40's, my friend that i recently bumped into that is my age, looks like she aged to 40 years old!! maybe just address the situation and make it into a joke and then at least she knows that you expect it coming.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I am in my 30s and everyone always thinks I'm really young. Whenever strangers in public make a snide remark about my age (they assume I'm a teenage mother), I just say, "You're just jealous that I'm young and still have my whole life ahead of me!!!" It gets them every time and they're left speechless!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I would suggest telling her how you feel (even if you have before) Most ppl cant read minds! SO you should act like an adult (like you are) and have a conversation with her!
    Avriesmom

Answer by Avriesmom at 9:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Call her the old woman:-) Sort of kidding. BE THANKFUL you look so young. When you are 45+ you will know what a blessing it is!!!!!! Then those people will really be jealous;-))
    Anonymous

• I would probably talk to her privately and jsut tell her that while you know she means no harm, it hurts your feelings and ask her to stop. I am sure if she knew how it made you feel she'd never have said it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I Would Call Her Something Like The "?? Year Old Bag Lady" Or Something To That Affect But That's Just Me.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 10:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Oh honey I hear it all the time. And it's worse cause we got married when I was 17 and he was 20. I am short and I look like I'm still in high school. I am 21. At work they used to call hubby a cradle robber or tell him to go rock all his girls to sleep (meaning me and our daughters) just feel good that you look so young. And you have to learn to laugh at yourself.
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 11:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• just tell her how you feel. She has to stop if it hurts you. You shouldn't let ppl walk all over you like that. You must learn to be assertive and speak up.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2009