I don't quite understand all the bashing of Al Gore?

I'm not trying to start any arguments here, I just really don't understand. I do think he is overzealous about the global warming, and some things they blame on global warming probably aren't. But is it so bad to want to do what we can to protect the earth? I admit I haven't followed the Al Gore thing too closely, but I understand that he is kind of crazy about the global warming thing lol. Just trying to gain some insight here on what others think.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 8:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As the first poster said, I think that Gore takes a lot of heat for his own energy consumption and the energy consumption of his company. He is not necessarily practicing what he preaches as far as conservation, so he gets branded as a hypocrite. Which is really too bad, because I do believe that as a species we really need to safeguard our planet and be ecologically responsible, and his own actions dilute the reception of an important message.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• He's a hypocrite. He owns part of a company that sells carbon offsets, and then flies around in a private plane and maintains a household that consumes exponentially more energy than the average family of the same size. He claims that as long as he buys carbon offsets to even out his energy usage, it's ok, except he's part owner of the company, so all he's really doing is advertising his product.

Most of his "science" is grossly exaggerated, to the point that he damages the credibility of people who actually have logical points to maky by mere association. For example he claims the entire North Pole will be completely gone in 5 years based on previous years' melt, but never mentions it's had record ice growth the past few years too. Once you know that, you tend to not trust anyone who mentions polar ice melt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Ok thanks for honestly answering my question. Like I said I hadn't exactly kept up on it all, I just knew he was saying alot of stuff about global warming and what we need to do about it and all. Now I see the hypocrite part lol. I'm trying to educate myself on these matters so your answer helps out greatly!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I like him. Passionate yes. That could be described as overzealous perhaps. But he has a very good message and one that needs to be heard. Politics, religion, family, and other issues most of us find important are not going to be worth much if we destroy our environment. We will be too busy struggling for survival, or worse extinct, to care about those issues any more. So yes, I think Gore is a relevant person in the political arena.

Anonymous

• I like him, although the carbon offset bit (go look at his house, it's just ridiculous) pisses me off.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 9:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I am with the first poster! He was at Harvard or some college a while back and while he gave a speech on global warming and the need for people to cut back, he had 4 or 5 SUVS parked outside RUNNING so they would be warm when he got out. The speech was like 2 hrs long! But he isn't the only one, Sheryl Crow with her "people should use one square of toilet paper" while she has TWO carbon spewing tour buses!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If people spent half the time they give to Al Gore listening to Ed Begley Jr they'd learn a whole lot more from someone who actually means it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• well i don't know to much about al gore... but global warming IS an issue that will only get worse if people ignore it... in my english 101 class (which was ecology based) we had to write a paper on it...i learned a lot about it and it is a very serious problem.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It's probably just because he's such a self-important pompous asshole. It's hard to take any message from a person you find reptilianly icky.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• it was Al Gore who started really announcing the "global warming" issue. he spread the panic via hollywood and his party, which is why obama and the dems in DC want to implement it in the stimulus package. now that the evidence of this theory is waning, including killer ice storms and below freezing temps not seen in several years, he looks even more the fool. the global warming, now renamed climate change crisis is IMO complete baloney.
    it is absolutely critical that we as humans hold ourselves accountable for our actions, like dumping toxic wastes. it is good to be responsible. its awesome to have renewable energy and push for more efficient technology. but using green energy as a platform to create programs that won't really hold up to the title of the bill, is pathetic. i feel confidant that this "climate change" freak out is going to blow over within the next few years. fluctuations in the weather is a natural occurance.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 10:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2009