Do people think what you eat doesn't matter as long as you exercise?

I keep hearing this. What you eat does matter. If you eat a lot of processed foods or foods full of preservatives and additives it is not good for you. It damages your overall health. If you exercise you will strengthen muscles and maintain your weight. However, all those extras in your food and all the bad fats build up. Just because you are thin does not mean you are healthy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Health

• It doesn't.

And just because you're big doesn't mean you're UNHEALTHY. Some people just carry more weight than others....its genetic.

I mean, try to think of it this way....what if you ate nothing but pork and drank nothing but Kool-Aid all day long? Sure you could still excersise everyday, but you'd probably have lots of headaches, high blood pressure, and be a candidate for diabetes.

You don't necessarily have to CHEAT yourself out of your favorite foods, even if they are considered 'unhealthy', but moderation is key. I mean, if you want chocolate cake, eat the damn cake....just make your slice a little smaller than you usually would, and don't eat a slice EVERYDAY.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i agree with the cake too.

i ate sensibly for a month and exercised but i didnt go on a diet, i just ate whatever but not healthy either, i wondered the WHOLE month why im not shedding the wieght, then the next month i went on a diet with the salads everyday and smaller suppers then BAM! 5 pounds came off the next couple weeks!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Some do, and it's sad. There was a doctor on last night talking about how if people never ate junk food or processed food, and actually made their own food from scratch, it would be nearly impossible for most people to become morbidly obese. You just can't duplicate all the damage from the salt and preservatives in Lean Cuisines and McDonald's.
    I worked with a girl who ate "healthy" because she lived on Banquet frozen dinners. I pointed out the salt to her and she said as long as it wasn't too many calories it didn't matter. And then she added table salt to the potatoes and veggies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I agree. Doesn't keep me from craving those sugary or cheesy things that I want, though.

For now, I am happy with being semi-thin, even if I'm not fit. I plan on kicking it into gear at the end of the month to get in shape for summer :)
    Anonymous

• NotPanicking, you'd be surprised at the amount of people who only take into consideration the CALORIE part of the diet.

Its not necessarily the CALORIES that cause you gain weight, but the salt and sugar. But try explaining that to people, and they throw the calorie thing back at you. lol
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Smaller portions, more veggies, more salads, less chocolate and soda (not NONE, just LESS) and more exercise, and you'll do fine. If you have to season, find healthier seasonings, like the lower or no sodium blends or use peppers, herbs, things of that nature.
    I've lost some weight just by cutting down on my portions and adding in some exercise. I haven't completely cut out my sweets and sodas, I've just cut down on them, and have found I don't crave them as much. I used to be able to drink a 1 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper a day, no problem, and now I can barely finish a can, it's so sweet!
    I don't even look at calorie count. I look more at sugars, sodium, carbs and the number of proteins. The lower the first thee and the higher the last, the happier I am with it.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• How about No soda? I don't drink soda period. I also dont eat candy. I can live without it. It is not essential. I don't need to to make me happy or to have fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2009