I was stressing out at work the other day after reading the projected costs of college and a co-worker said she is not worried at all - if her kids want to go to college they have to pay. I was surprised. Do you feel that your kids should pay for their own college?

I have alot of money saved for college for my daughter. In fact I could pay off my mortgage if I closed that account but I would never do that. I feel my daughter's education is my responsiblity as her parent.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• my parents paid for my college. in exchange i remained unmarried, got scholarships and worked to pay for non-school expenses. the student who doesnt have to help at all & spends their time partying wont appreciate their degree (if they get it), but the person who has to struggle and work several jobs is less likely to ever graduate. i think its important to help...as an adult i have the ability to save & make larger amounts of money for my kids future. i dont want my kids to have $80K in loans b/c i was too stingy to help out.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Do some research, a couple of weeks ago a financial article listed what to place as a priority and saving for retirement and paying off mortgages took priority over college. (You might want to check it out, Yahoo Finance)
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 1:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2012

• if they can...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• I'd help if I could, but no way am I taking on that much. I'll also offer a place to live rent free, food, internet, water... etc. That's plenty.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 5:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• if they can
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I expect my children to do everything in their power to acquire aid. They both excel in school, they are both involved in sports and civic projects. I fully expect scholarships. Anything else, we will help with
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• We do what we can for our children, but some things are not realistic for all budgets. No one put my parents thru college. In fact, when they did go, dad was in his 30's, & mom went back in her 40's. I went back in my 20's & am still paying on my student loans. My son was fortunate enough to earn a scholarship. Our local university offers scholarships to our students who maintain a 3.0 G.P.A., & I'm confident my dau will be able to do that. She's very bright. If not, she will have to figure out a way to work it out. WIsh we could do more, but we can't.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I did not receive help with my education, and I don't feel like my parents loved me any less for making me work my way through it the way they did. I feel that I came out stronger for it and value it even more from that experience.

That said, I am now earning college credits as a benefit through teaching at a college that I can transfer to my children, and I am more than willing to do that! I also hope to help them with some of the tuition after that, and I do save, but my goal is not to pay their entire educations.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I'm not going to pay all of my childs college. If i am financially able when the time comes to help out i def. will but I never had my education paid for i had to take out loans and get scholarships I expect the same from my children.
    rockabell.2009

Answer by rockabell.2009 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• My parents considered it my responsability to pay for college. I was resentful of this because they had refused to allow me to follow hairdresser and beautician training while I was at school because, as they said, I was college material. Once out of school and headed for college I found that it was all on my shoulders.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2012