I was stressing out at work the other day after reading the projected costs of college and a co-worker said she is not worried at all - if her kids want to go to college they have to pay. I was surprised. Do you feel that your kids should pay for their own college?

I have alot of money saved for college for my daughter. In fact I could pay off my mortgage if I closed that account but I would never do that. I feel my daughter's education is my responsiblity as her parent.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• my parents paid for my college. in exchange i remained unmarried, got scholarships and worked to pay for non-school expenses. the student who doesnt have to help at all & spends their time partying wont appreciate their degree (if they get it), but the person who has to struggle and work several jobs is less likely to ever graduate. i think its important to help...as an adult i have the ability to save & make larger amounts of money for my kids future. i dont want my kids to have $80K in loans b/c i was too stingy to help out.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Both. I actually dont know any people who's parents paid their way. I can see at helping but college is very expensive and hard to save up for now a days.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• if they can, sure. there are all kinds of scholarships/grants/loans they can get, to help pay for any/all of it, if they're lucky.
    i'd love to be able to pay for DS's entire college..however, he will still apply for any aid available. if its there, why not take advantage of it, kwim? besides, between now and college, you never know what may happen to your household finances..no sense in using your own retirement funds to pay for a college that someone younger has plenty (assumedly) of time to repay.
    in other words, if its not a hardship to the parent(s) retirement, pay all you can.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• If we could afford to pay for college for all three of our sons, we would. We are helping them out as much as we can, but most of the kids we know are working through college, some have earned scholarships, etc. And friends my own age pretty much worked through college, although some of them did have help from parents.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Yes I do. They need to work hard for scholarships. That does not mean we haven't put in to help with the cost but the onus is on them. If they do not invest in their future, I feel, they do not put in as much effort. JMO
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Its depends on every parent situation, if you are in a position to provide for your child then i would say yes. If that parent is a single mother who is trying to make ends meet, and have bad credit then i would say no. Their are programs and scholorships out their for young adults to apply for. I personally say that every parent should be able to assist in some kind of way meaning finacial or just being supportive. If you cant provide your child education then they should be able to direct them in the direction of programs and scholorships they can summit to.
    dsugar24

Answer by dsugar24 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I have seen kids who their parents pay for college and then tend to party more and skip classes. Then you have kids that work their butts off and pay for their own college and they tend to take it a little more serious, plus I think it is a HUGE sense of accomplishment to put yourself through school.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• i feel its a parents responsibilty to make the path for their children for college. making decisions in highschool that could benefit them, doing things when younger such as charity work and volunteering..being the fall back person if needed. I don't think a parent should be fully responsible for payment but that is their choice. I will help in as many ways that i can but i don't think that i will fully pay any childs way.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I think kids should help in some way. If that's working hard and getting scholarships, that's fine. I don't think a part time job while in college hurts them. I worked part time while going to school full time and still graduated with honors. My niece just finished college, paying for the entire thing by herself and she has less than 2k in loans at UNC Chapel Hill.
    I am saving for my kids but I expect them to apply for any grants/scholarships that they qualify for and I will not be supplying their fun money - that will have to come from them working.

Answer by missanc at 1:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Our children worked and they also earned scholarships and we helped with the rest. I can tell you from our experience that the children who at least help finance their own educations do better academically and they also appreciate their educations more than those who have them handed to them on a silver platter. When Mom and Dad are footing the bill, there's a much greater temptation to party and have fun instead of working and studying.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2012