I was stressing out at work the other day after reading the projected costs of college and a co-worker said she is not worried at all - if her kids want to go to college they have to pay. I was surprised. Do you feel that your kids should pay for their own college?

I have alot of money saved for college for my daughter. In fact I could pay off my mortgage if I closed that account but I would never do that. I feel my daughter's education is my responsiblity as her parent.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Yes I do. They need to work hard for scholarships. That does not mean we haven't put in to help with the cost but the onus is on them. If they do not invest in their future, I feel, they do not put in as much effort. JMO
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• i feel its a parents responsibilty to make the path for their children for college. making decisions in highschool that could benefit them, doing things when younger such as charity work and volunteering..being the fall back person if needed. I don't think a parent should be fully responsible for payment but that is their choice. I will help in as many ways that i can but i don't think that i will fully pay any childs way.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• IF we can help them when they finally get to that point then maybe we will but I expect them to work hard at getting Financial Aid and scholarships and working part time too. My parents didn't pay for any of my schooling or my older sisters' but they did help us out in other ways, living expenses, but then again we were all 1st generation Hispanic students with good grades and got some scholarships at least for our Freshman year. We did have to take out loans and those are now OUR responsibility to repay not our parents'. I agree that if they're the ones footing the bill they will take it more seriously and work harder to get their degree!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• We plan to pay for my daughter's college one hundred percent. I see it as continuing her education and for her future. I pay for her school now. No need to stop when she gets older.
    Heiwa

Answer by Heiwa at 2:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• My parents considered it my responsability to pay for college. I was resentful of this because they had refused to allow me to follow hairdresser and beautician training while I was at school because, as they said, I was college material. Once out of school and headed for college I found that it was all on my shoulders.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I'm not going to pay all of my childs college. If i am financially able when the time comes to help out i def. will but I never had my education paid for i had to take out loans and get scholarships I expect the same from my children.
    rockabell.2009

Answer by rockabell.2009 at 3:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I did not receive help with my education, and I don't feel like my parents loved me any less for making me work my way through it the way they did. I feel that I came out stronger for it and value it even more from that experience.

That said, I am now earning college credits as a benefit through teaching at a college that I can transfer to my children, and I am more than willing to do that! I also hope to help them with some of the tuition after that, and I do save, but my goal is not to pay their entire educations.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:37 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• Its depends on every parent situation, if you are in a position to provide for your child then i would say yes. If that parent is a single mother who is trying to make ends meet, and have bad credit then i would say no. Their are programs and scholorships out their for young adults to apply for. I personally say that every parent should be able to assist in some kind of way meaning finacial or just being supportive. If you cant provide your child education then they should be able to direct them in the direction of programs and scholorships they can summit to.
    dsugar24

Answer by dsugar24 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I am like your co-worker. After high school it was their responsibility to pay for college.  I did tell them to get good grades and get a scholarship would be a good idea for them.

I did tell them I couldn't afford to go to college. I can't afford to send them either.

Answer by louise2 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I'll help him as much as I am able. Thankfully there are a lot of scholarships and grants out there. I don't want him to have to work while in college if I can at all help it. It makes it a lot harder in my experience.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2012