I was stressing out at work the other day after reading the projected costs of college and a co-worker said she is not worried at all - if her kids want to go to college they have to pay. I was surprised. Do you feel that your kids should pay for their own college?

I have alot of money saved for college for my daughter. In fact I could pay off my mortgage if I closed that account but I would never do that. I feel my daughter's education is my responsiblity as her parent.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• We do what we can for our children, but some things are not realistic for all budgets. No one put my parents thru college. In fact, when they did go, dad was in his 30's, & mom went back in her 40's. I went back in my 20's & am still paying on my student loans. My son was fortunate enough to earn a scholarship. Our local university offers scholarships to our students who maintain a 3.0 G.P.A., & I'm confident my dau will be able to do that. She's very bright. If not, she will have to figure out a way to work it out. WIsh we could do more, but we can't.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2012

• I expect my children to do everything in their power to acquire aid. They both excel in school, they are both involved in sports and civic projects. I fully expect scholarships. Anything else, we will help with
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2012

• if they can
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2012

• I'd help if I could, but no way am I taking on that much. I'll also offer a place to live rent free, food, internet, water... etc. That's plenty.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 5:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• if they can...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2012

• Do some research, a couple of weeks ago a financial article listed what to place as a priority and saving for retirement and paying off mortgages took priority over college. (You might want to check it out, Yahoo Finance)
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 1:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2012