Have you ever adopted a pet from the pet shelter? Did it work out well for you?

I have.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Pets

• AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Yes, I adopted my doggy from a no kill shelter. He only has one eye, so they could not adopt him out. That was 5 years ago... and I love him with all my heart... most days.... LOL!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Unfortunately, we have to find a home for our doggie. We're trying to find a friend to take him, but if we can't, we'll have to take him to a pet shelter....it's our last resort, and I hope he'll be treated well and find a good home if we don't find him a home soon.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Yes. We adopted Fergus as a kitten. He is a gigantic guard cat now! We love him so much. He chases all the dogs and varmits out of the yard.

texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• yes
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• We've only adopted one directly from the shelter (have a couple we adopted through a foster parent who kept the animals for the shelter...so almost as though the cat was being rehomed instead of adopted from shelter)...

Anyway...the one we did was back in 1994. Brought her home on Monday at 8 weeks and by Friday she was hospitalized due to Upper Respiratory Infection. It was so severe that she almost died. She was hospitalized for 10 days and only went home because I proved to them I could do the same as they were doing. For another 2 weeks I had to force feed her and give her sub-q fluids. She was known by our friends and family as the million dollar kitty because we spent hundreds of dollars on her medical bills that first month.

Although she had a chronic runny eye and sneeze all her life, she was a great cat. She died a couple years ago at 15 years of age from cancer.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• All but 2 of our pets have been from local shelters. Of those, 1 was a foundling (in the days before microchips) and 1 was from a friend's ranch. He was a working dog who was reassigned because he kept running away to the closest family with kids. So they gave him to us. 150 lbs of doggie love.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I have either adopted my pets or found them as strays.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• In my life I've had 8 cats. 5 of them were from shelters. The other three we got from a (now former) coworker of my husband's.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Correction: 4 from shelters, 3 from the coworker, and 1 stray.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2012