Attention any hygenist, dental expert etc. I am having root canal work done... Can you explain the difference between a regular crown & an upgraded crown?

Please tell me which would you do & if there is a real difference between both. I fractured a number of teeth @ an eatery when I discovered a little too late what I was chewing on was a piece of concrete that caused much work to be done not to mention the expense that it's costing me. Your expertise will be appreciated greatly. Many thanks!

Bellafleurs

Asked by Bellafleurs at 8:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • an "upgraded" crown may be one of 2 things....either the lab will use a higher quality metal in the crown before stacking the porcelain on it (use more gold than other metals) or if it is the anterior (front teeth) they may be talking about an all porcelain crown. The metal in your crowns can affect you really only if you have metal allergies and if it's in the front, I highly recommend the all porcelain because the light will shine through it like natural teeth. Hope my 11 years experience helps!
    Anonymous