What do I do if my daughter is scared to go to school?

I tried taking her and she was afraid all of a sudden. Usually she likes school, but today she was not having it and it's unusual for her. Should I speak with her teacher?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 2:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in

• She gave you no reason? Then yes maybe I would talk to the teacher
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I would talk to the counselor or guidance counselor, depending on what grade she's in. In 1st grade my dd was like that. We found out the kindergarten teacher didn't prepare her for 1st grade and it also turned out she was ADHD. Once we got her some help and spoke with the teacher she was fine. We immediately got her an IEP, which took the stress off of her. She began in Resource room and made a big change.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Find out what changed, if you cant. Get professional help
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• She's five and in kindergarten. She loved it at first, but on Friday her teacher told me she started crying alot and then today she didn't even want us to leave her. She said she misses her family, was the reason why. Then I asked her if she likes school and she said no and that it's not fun anymore. I asked her why it isn't fun anymore, and she said because she's scared. SHe won't give me a reason why she is scared, but I have seen how her teacher can be with other kids and I have a hunch that she can be pretty strict and maybe my DD is afraid of that.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Definitely talk to her teacher, see if you can sit in on a class. If DD sees you in there it might help her.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• DS is in K and we have that once in a while. We found out though that there's a bully in his classroom, and once we talked to the teacher she watches that kid a lot more. There is still about 1 day a week DS doesn't want to go, but we're realizing it has just as much to do with how much sleep he gets every night - if he's more tired he's more prone to not want to go.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 4:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• So I took my daughter out for lunch and we talked about what was bothering her. She explained to me that she had a hard time finding her lunch card for breakfast in the morning and that was why she had a hard time this morning. Usually she's pretty good at recognizing her name when she sees it. She can spell it and everything! But because her name is written in cursive on her card she can't find it. On Friday we dropped her off to find her card on her own and she had another parent help her find her card. He explained that that whole system is a mess because half the kindergartners can't read and nor can some of them speak English in order to ask for help. So they don't have the slightest clue how to find their names and the ladies that work in the lunch room don't have a damn clue how to help them properly. I can tell you from what I observed, that some of those ladies need to take a refresher course. cont'd.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• A refresher course in helping Kindergartners because they think that for some reason they can all read. They need to be more patient with them and take the time out to assist them as much as they need it. They're too young and scared to be barked at because they're not finding their lunch card fast enough.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2012