Too tough on yourself?

Sometimes I feel like sometimes I am "too tough" on myself and expect too much out of my kids at the same time.
For example, if my DS has trouble sharing, I am on top of him during the whole playdate. I even text friends to apologize after and they tell me, "really? I didn't think he was that bad. It's okay, see you next week." Then I spend alot of time beating myself up about it. Or if he runs in a store, I address the situation but then worry about what other people in the store might have thought when he did that. How do you get past worrying about what other people think? I don't want my children to have to deal with my silly over concern.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in General Parenting

• Well, I don't think it's entirely a bad thing... I mean you have to fine a happy medium though. Really, I wish there were more parents like that. Try to realize he's a child and that what children do. Do not label your child... EVER. I'd hate for you to turn out like my father. He was constantly worried about the neighbors so much that I never believed he even actually loved me. I was in a car accident and actually felt guilty because I survived and not my neighbor... that's how bad he made me feel. Think about that.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I've always been tough in myself and sometimes a little to tough.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I am tough on myself, but I NEVER worry about what others think about how I am raising my kids. I do what I FELL is best for them. Others may not agree with decisions, but that is their problem not mine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Coala- love that attitude!! I need to think like that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Also seeing what your kids do WELL. I need to be better about that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I think it can be normal as parents to be tough on ourselves sometimes. I know I am. I feel the exact same way as coala. Although I may be tough on myself I could care less what others think because I do what I believe is best for my kids.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I personally think that you are NOT too tough on yourself or your son. I raised 3 boys and believe me I felt like a drill sargent some days. In the long run it paid off. I would have cpmplete strangers come up to me and tell me how proud I must be because my sons were all so well behaved. I never expected anything from them that couldn't be done
    mamamiajk

Answer by mamamiajk at 7:42 AM on Sep. 25, 2012