Pet kitten for a three year old

Hi all. My son for the past few months now has been asking me for a kitten. O have no problem with getting one for him. I saw that there were small kittens that don't grow much. Does anyone know a breed of cats that's does not grow as big as adults.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Pets

• As tempting as it may be to get a pet for a 3 y/o, I would not suggest getting a kitten or a puppy. Small children just don't handle them properly & could hurt the poor thing. Or the pet could bite or scratch your child. I'd wait until he's a bit older. If you're hellbent on doing it, please check you local shelters. They are filled w/ all types of kitties that need a good home. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• 3 is to young for small dogs/puppies/ kittens.

Answer by louise2 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I agree three is a little young. But I also have a 13, two 11, and a 1 year old. All the eldest wants a pet. My oldest says he can live with r without one. We have the space. I know before we buy we should adopt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• I wouldn't worry about how big the cat gets. A larger cat will be sturdier and less likely to get hurt from kids. My daughter was so great with our adult cat. She loved him so much. But a kitten does scratch for the first year or 2. There really isn't anything you can do about it either.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• My husband and i have decided that we will adopt an adult cat. That way we know its fully grown and would know that it wont be growing anymore. So hopefully we can find one thats used to kids and is a bottom of the bed cuddle buddy. So i think it would be cute.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• That would be best. Get a cat big and old enough to defend it"s self from the younger kids. And when the younger kids get use to a cat. Then get a kitten.

Answer by louise2 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 25, 2012

• My suggestion would be a Siamese. We found ours at the shelter in our town and got her for our then 6mos old dd. She had eczema very bad all over her and her doc said that a cat would keep her distracted. The first night, the cat drove me crazy trying to hide and hiss and get into everything. Then, late that night, when my dd woke up crying and scratching, Simone came out of hiding and climbed up into her crib. I watched carefully as my dd stopped crying and began petting the cat. Simone stayed with her until she fell asleep then, quietly climbed out of the crib and into her own bed. She slept with my dd for 10 years until she died. We all still grieve over that special siamese. Siamese cats shed less and are easier to manage as well.
    blondie805

Answer by blondie805 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2012

• awhhh
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 9:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• No I do not think there are many different sizes.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2012