HIPAA and how does that pertain to children under 18

OK this is kind of a odd question because I 100% familiar with HIPAA and how pertains to adults. now when it comes to minors i am not so sure. I have been confronted with this today at my daughters pediatric dentist. they have one exam room in which the parents stay with the child and hold them on the lap etc. its not a real exam room. but today the nurse I guess if she( my daughter) would be OK going back by herself. I was like can I go. and she was like no at a certain age we like them to go with out the parent etc and HIPAA and I questioned it. She would be fine with out me but i don;t want her alone at 3 1/2 in the dentist chair. she also told me it was always the policy of the office. this makes me really uncomfortable. I go there because my insurance is accepted there. I do not want her alone and it is me but still at 3 1/2 i do not think they should even offer and I really do not think HIPAA is set up for that reason for a child that young. It's not the first time this has happened. I gave blood once and my daughter couldn'tt even stand by me or anything during the question and answer time. it was just weird. So I was going to just look it up but I thought I would ask here first.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2012 in Health

• HIPPA has nothing to do with it. I think 3.5 is a little young to be by herself in a dentist or doctor's office. I would find another office if at all possible if they insist on her going back by herself.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• HIPPA is for every age. Most dentists ive been to dont like parents back there because its easier to get things done without them hovering. if they need you they will come get you.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• yes i will hover at 3 1/2.I did not let her go back because I had another option but I wont be leting her go by herself this young. its nuts and to say its HIPAA is even craizer. She is a minor. do you even know what HIPAA is mrs.harsh?

kmath, trust me I said no. I always remember going by myself but i was much much older like 9 or even 10.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• Well, they need to discuss a child's treatment w/ the parent, so that HIPPA law & they way they do things, esp. if you are uncomfortable with it, just doesn't fly. Find a new dentist.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• They need your permission to do work. My dentist likes to take the kids by themselves as well, but I think it's because at a certain age they want to act more brave if they don't have their parents there so they can fall apart. My DD will cry much easier if I am around than if I am waiting in the other room. They do exams on the kids in chairs right next to each other, so I can't see how HIPPA would be an issue at this point. It's not like they are getting privacy anyhow.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• HIPPA is weird- the Ped will talk to me about everything but sexual activity and drug use, claiming HIPPA.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• At the doctor office this never happens. She is 3/12 and obviously this is the first nurse or dental hygenist that ever said that to me. I mean I have no problem with her going back when she is older. I wont do it now. no way. I just looked up HIPAA when it pertains to minors is completely different. I have a feeling they just told her its office policy and told her about HIPAA but truthfully to suggest that to a child that young is kind of weird.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• REally? My son is 13 and I still go back with him and I have NEVER had an issue.

In addition, they can't sign consent for themselves and they aren't financially responsible for themselves.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• It has nothing to do with HIPPA (and yes, as a medical professional I know all about it) - a lot of ped. dentist office do things this way, especially for routine stuff. The child does better with out the parent there making them nervous. Both my kids go back alone now... but I sign off on the treatment plan first... if anything changes the dentist or hygienist has me come back in to show me or discuss it. Pretty standard procedure for what I have seen & heard.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• If they said I could go in the room with my underage child especially at 3 I would say FUCK off and leave
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2012