May I ask why people 'dis' other peoples home based business?

Please don't come down hard on me for asking this.

Are we not all entitled to be proud of the company we own or work for? Of course we are, but I'm really surprised to see how many times the word 'scam' comes up. I surely don't mean to be less than polite, but my goodness ladies, there are a lot of 'expert' opinions being given here.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all 'plug' our businesses without slamming someone elses?
Am I being unreasonable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's only a scam when they are asking for money, otherwise I don't care.

Anonymous

• yeah buy cell phones, directTV, dish network, landline phones and even a video phone from me :] oh and ADT home security. im an independent rep for a company called ACN.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• ??? you say it's only a scam when they are asking for money.....wouldn't there normally be some kind of start up expense with any business, whether it be daycare or a home office setting?

could you explain money = scam a bit better??
    Anonymous

• some ARE scams, i think you have to be selective in what you choose, like dont just get one off the internet or anything. my company you pay $499 and you become licensed in all states and countries that ACN offers coverage to, but its you're own business, you dont work under anyone and they dont care if you dont sell anything
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• It think it gets really ridiculous. Alot of the home businesses out there get paid by getting other people to join. So then they just go out on a heavy recruiting spree and it is just really annoying. And its not just with scams, its with legit businesses like mary kay and primerica.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i didnt know mary kay was a pyramid? i really like mary kay make up!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Its not a pyramid the same way other businesses are. I think they just get rewards for getting people where as other businesses actually get a percentage of what they sell. Not sure so someone can correct me on that. I liked the parties but I stopped seeing a consultant because she was too aggressive at trying to get me to join her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Pyramids are illegal in all 50 states, so many of the businesses that people accuse of being pyramids are not. Most people assume that any business that has a structured compensation, no matter how it is set up is a pyramid, but the truth is one has nothing to do with the other. Basically, any business that restricts one person from making more than the enroller is an illegal pyramid, or scam.

I agree with the original poster, that people are too quick to judge opportunities especially ones they know nothing about. Now if someone were to ask the question... Is this (fill in opportunity) a legitimate opportunity, that is the only time those types of comments should be made, and then only with proof to back up their claim.. personal experiences... not the old... well, I heard... bologna.

Of course this is my opinion and everyone is entitled.
    mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 10:08 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I dont know how they get around it then, but some are definitely pyramids even if they don't call it that. i've been to some of the meetings and thats what they do.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• mary kay is not a pyramid. it is a pyramid if you make money only off of enrollment fees. i.e. if there is no product that exchanges hands.

Mary kay is MLM (multi level marketing). The upline gets paid a percentage of the product sold by their down line. product sold. not just enrollment fees.

not a pyramid.
    -Leann-

Answer by -Leann- at 11:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2009