Flight requirements for kids/myself?

I'm flying with my 11 month old and my 3 year old in a couple weeks. I've tried looking on websites to see what sort of documents I need to bring with. All it says is a birth certificate for children and a photo ID for me. That seems too simple. I thought travel requirements are stricter and more complicated. I'm flying alone with my kids too, do I need permission from their dad (we're together)? Thanks!

muensters_ma

Asked by muensters_ma at 9:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Travel

• I didn't even need birth certificates but take them if they say. And no you don't need permission from the dad as long as you have custody.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Most airlines don't require any documentation, but bring birth certificates just in case. You asked if you need permission from their dad?!? ..Of course not. The only time you would need a written permission statement would be if their father had full custody of them.
    BrittAldrmn

Answer by BrittAldrmn at 9:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Yeah I wasn't sure if because we're not married that I'd need permission. I know I've heard from friends that they needed permission when they had joint custody so I was curious how my situation would apply... Thanks!
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 10:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I have always had to provide ID for our kids when flying southwest.

If it is domestic then that is all you should need.

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I thought the same thing. I brought a copy of Es birth cert and SSN card.... and they never checked it!
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 10:12 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• We flew this summer without my husband. Airlines do suggest birth certificate for children (it really depends on who checks you in..some will check documents others will not. Luck of the draw on who you get. ) I say carry it anyway...originals! For yourself you will need your driver's liscense. That is it...Very easy. Don't worry about it. One bit of advice..you do have to take your shoes off to walk through security scanners. Since you will be alone..make sure the kids and you have shoes you can slip off and on easy.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• The only time I have heard that they wanted the birth certificate was if the child was around 3 yrs old, because (I was told) that at three, they needed their own seat.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:23 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I've flown on probably 30 flights with my almost 2 year old (we haven't taken her to 30 different destinations, it's just that we often have multiple legs on any trip), and the only time we've ever needed identification for her has been when we've flown internationally. The only time I've ever heard of needing permission from the father is when you are flying internationally without him. In that case, they want to make sure you aren't kidnapping them to somewhere where it's hard to get them back.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• No its pretty simple. Bring their birth certificates (might not hurt to bring their socials I've never been asked on the plane but was asked once at the hotel) and bring your ID. Just make things easier on yourself, traveling alone with kids is stressful. They might make all of you take your shoes off to scan so make sure you do velcro on the kids and slide offs on you. They make you take your jackets/coats/hoodies off and scan them now so have something light weight that comes off easily and isnt a hassle to get back on! Make sure that all of your liquid check on items are in a large ziplock bag together and at the top of your luggage. They make you take it out and scan it seperately now. And don't bring anything more than 3oz on carryon. If you do formula bring it dry in the can. Sealed is best. You cannot bring on the ready made formulas unless less than 3oz. Has to be sealed as well. Anyway good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009