I watch kids at home. . .

and one of the little girls has such an attitude, and is such a little snot that i have a very hard time trying to be nice to her. She has moments that she can be nice, but i'm not sure how long i can do it. what would you suggest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• im not sure =/ is she an only child or the only girl? she sounds like i did and i was spoiled rotten growing up. i dont think there is much you can do, maybe time outs? if its a real problem tell her parents you cant take her anymore
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• When I have had this problem with my daycare kids i have foudn the best way is to establish with them an understanding that there are rules at my home, they may be different then her rules at hom but when she is in my home my rules will be followed, depending on the age i have to give reminders it doesnt happen right away it takes a few weeks to get them to understand.

If you have only been watching her a short time then the two of you will need to work through it, I have had kids like this and eventually they understand and come around, i have to keep an even tone and make sure that if my kid does anything even similar i give the same speech and reminders about rules that i do to the daycare kids.

One trick i have is reward's, i have a bear with happy and sad faces when rules are broken i turn it to a sad face, when they earn it back through good behavior the bear is happy again, each child has their own bear...cont'd
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• at the end of the day if the childs bear has a happy face they get a sticker.

This makes children more aware of how they act.

I pick up things at the dollar store so it cost me very little to do this and it works, kids love working towards goals and earning a prize, something as simple as a sticker can go along way in earning the childs good behaivor and will make your life a little less hectic. Kids learn to be in control of themselves and responsible for their actions doing this.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• wow that is some really good advice! (im being serious, not sarcastic)
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If you are having these types of feelings, you definately need to seek a different choice of business. I had a lady that just couldn't deal with my daughter when she was little. She left her outside for hours in over 100 degree weather. Yeah.. she got reported!

Please seek another job.. kids can be a hand full, but they deserve the same treatment and love. If you are unable to do that.. you don't need to be watching kids.
    Anonymous

• aliciatron Thank you!
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• she plays dumb. her mom told me about it before i started to watch her. I would NEVER leave a child outside in any extreme weather. I do care for her. She can be a very sweet child. BUT she can be very mean. She will hurt my dog, she will hurt my children, and she will hurt the other little boy that I watch. She has an older brother that we pick up in the afternoon after school.
    I have a rewards system with a bucket per child, and they get to put a marble in each time they do something good. and if they do something bad, they have to take the marble out and put it back. it works for all the kids except her. We have different rewards. On Satrudays we go to McDonalds so they can get a happy meal, ice cream and play. That is their big reward, and i've tried dolls, deserts, special one on one activities, and nothing gets her attention.
    Dont get me wrong, everyday I start out fresh. And by the end of the day she wears me down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• can i ask how old she is? there are a few other ideas i have but it would really depend on the age of the child.

Something you might start doing is keeping notes about each incident, what happened just before during and after, note everyones reactions including hte dogs lol after a week see if you can find a pattern or a trigger. it could be that there is some small thing that happens to cause her to do this that no one notices. if you can pin point the event that causes it then you have a starting point to work from.

you could even sit her down when she gets like this and ask her what makes her angry, what upsets her and what the two of you could do together to work it out, when you ask her make sure you dont sound angry because hse may not open up.

one other thought and i only say it because of training i have had in daycare but could she possibly be acting out due to abuse at home? verbal emotional etc?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2009