• In the Spotlight:

using walkers

so someone told me she was watching a tv show or reading a magazine or somthing and read that using walkers actually can delay a child ability to walk? any one had this problem? cuz i just bought my son a really cool jeep walker:)

havingaboy08

Asked by havingaboy08 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally I think they are only dangerous if you are lazy and you don't keep an eye on your children. They aren't meant to be a baby-sitter for your child. If you use them you need to supervise your child. I think that they are great. I supervised my son when he used his and I don't see how it could possibly be dangerous. My son learned how to walk when he was 10 months old, sooo, I don't see how that delayed his ability to walk at all, especially since you see kids that aren't walking until they are what, 15 months old?

For those of you that said they are dangerous: exactly how are they dangerous?  Was it because of the irresponsibility of the parents? Hmmm..

Anonymous

• I haven't heard that but I just bought my dd a jeep walker also!
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I used one for both of my daughters,and my oldest walked , alone at 8 months,the other at 10 months.I have heard this also,but do not beleive it..Let your son enjoy his new jeep walker.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• babies learn better and faster and just fine without them. walkers have the highest rate of accidents of all baby gear/ equipment. They are not safe and just not worth it. really a waste of money as babies really grow out of them very quickly.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 10:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i agree with hypersquirrel because my pediatrician told me the same thing, they are just not safe, many have been recalled but some are still out there waiting to be recalled lol they are so not worth the money but since you already bought the jeep walker go ahead
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 11:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Some people believe that. Some also believe that it will make them walk sooner because they get the idea. Don't worry about it really use the walker!
    Noahs-Mom

Answer by Noahs-Mom at 2:22 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i bought one for my son when he was a baby. he didn't want anything to do with it. it ended up being something to pile things on.
    spazz1007

Answer by spazz1007 at 2:47 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I dont see how they could delay walking but they are dangerous. My Pediatrician gives us a handout on how to deal with new "happenings" (i.e. crawling, walking) at every appointment and on the 6 month handout it says in big bold letters "DO NOT USE A WALKER." and goes on to say how dangerous they can be.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Ive never got why its dangerous unless you have stairs or it delaying walking I used a walker on my son and he ened up walking within the first month I bought it. i used a walker when I was young and walked just fine. I think its like the jumper it helps the legs get stronger its just more moble. You should use it let it get to use. My son hated the playpen and after a while hated the jumper (he never liked being in one place) and the walker was the why I got to do things around the house without him cry for me whenever I left the room
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 4:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son was in an exersaucer, and he used a walker. Now at 8 months...he's almost walking! :) I wouldn't worry about it. It didn't hurt my son, didn't hurt my friends son. I'd say go for it...but watch him... Her son flipped his walker once...and he also walked it out the door and off the top step... (they didn't watch him very well)
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2009