IS IT NORMAL

Is it normal to have such aggravation over an 11 year old son for not listening to you and talking back to you? Mine does and I can't stand it.

elainecat

Asked by elainecat at 10:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ummm.. mine does it! So, to me it's normal. It's not nice, and I can't stand it, but I'm dealing with it. Sorry that you are too.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 1:53 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Our 11 yr old daughter does the same thing. I also have a friend who has an 11 yr old son and she is going through the same thing. I think it is that age where they start this. It is annoying and I am with you I can't stand it either
    mellowmomof3tn

Answer by mellowmomof3tn at 8:34 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yes mine did it also and still does it and she is 13, but I don't tolerate it. I send her to her room and end the discussion immediately until she can stop the behavior. If that fails, I start taking stuff away. I require respect of the adults and parents in my house.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:11 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yes, my son is 5 going on 15 and I get so aggravated I think I am going to bust a blood vessel. He can be so snotty but I nip it in the bud and I am hoping that maybe b/c he started young he will finish early but I doubt it, lol.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 4:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Have you tried talking to them like they are a coworker? I think we forget that they are growing up and are learning the lingo of adult speak, but not yet knowing when they are crossing bounderies. Talk to your child and set a word like spiderman or something that will let them know without embarrassing them that they are in dangerous territory and need to back off. Yes, I deal with this on a daily basis with my son and I have to tell you it has gotten a lot better since *I* started being less bitchy and allowing him to talk like a normal person instead of expecting him to jump to mywords. :( I hate it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2009