Is it possible to re-lactate after 7 months??

I was not able to breastfeed my daughter because I did not make enough milk. I had a breast reduction many years ago, and I have a thyroid problem, which made my milk supply very, very low. My daughter's health deteriorated rapidly because of this, and the lactation consultant urged me to nourish the child with formula.

My daughter has been on formula, and she is very happy and healthy. I have nothing negative to say about formula or moms who use it, so please don't go there.

Is there any way I can re-lactate after 7 months?

I am taking Nexium, Wellbutrin and Levothyroxine, if that makes a difference.

Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you can. I know that Nexium is safe, and I believe Wellbutrin is too, but not sure about Levothyroxine since I'm not sure what it is. It will take lots of work, dedication, and stubbornness, but it can be done.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• i would go take a pee test cause i dont think that those kinda meds can make you relactate i wasnt able to bf my dd either idk why but i started lactating and then a month later found out im prego again my dd was only 7 months old at the time so i would go check to be safe good luck
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Relactation is possible after 7 months but I'm not familiar with the medications you're on. I also do not understand why a lactation consultant would recommend that you stop nursing even if you weren't making enough milk. Instead you should have been recommended to nurse MORE often to make more milk, take herbal supplements to produce more, possibly even medication and as a last resort supplement IN ADDITION to nursing. Sorry to hear you got such bad advice!

Contact a different lactation consultant to help you with your specific health concerns and medications. Good luck!!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• it is most certainly possible!!
    get in touch with your local la leche league. a leader there should be able to help you and if she can't then she can at least point you in the right direction.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Bugbug, she is not saying that she is spontaneously lactating, but rather that she wants to start lactating again, and wondering if the meds are safe for breastfeeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:43 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• If your thyroud was under control then it should have had no effect on the milk supply. The levothyroxine is definitely safe while nursing. I am hypo and had an oversupply of milk at first while on levothyroxine. I don't know about the nexium, but I do know it is not reccomended to nurse while on Wellbutrin. Is there any other antidepressant you can take that is okay while nursing? To relactiate you would most likely need a prescrioption (can't remember the name of the drug though) so you should definitely talk with your doctor. at this age though your LO may not take to the breast again even if you are able to make milk.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Jaycee- my daughter had no wet diapers for 3 days...she was dehydrated. At 3 days old, that's definitely a serious enough situation in which to suggest supplementing with formula, don't you think??
    Anonymous