What is the proper tip amount for a hair stylist?

I got my hair done today. This is this first time I've done anything other than cut it. I usually go to a cheapy place like cost cutters. But today I went a real salon. (Wow the difference is amazing!) Anyway I was given a discount because the hair dresser knew I was on a budget and she was trying to help. I got a conditioning treatment, cut and highlights. Normally the bill would have been $160, but she did everything for $100.00. How much would you have tipped? I gave her $15.00. Do you think that was enough?

LilMsTiff

Asked by LilMsTiff at 10:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I think that is plenty =] I think the MOST I have tipped was 20 and thats cuz I was sooo happy with the cut.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• If you're on a budget - then yes, that was enough. She gave you a really good discount.

The lady that does my hair only charges me $70 for a cut, dye and highlights and she styles my hair. And I LOVE what she does with my hair so I'll tip her $30-$40.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 10:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Ya done well sista,hope you enjoy your new doo.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I think that's about right? There is a website that tells you how much to tip certain professions. I know if you get a hand drawn design for your tattoo 20% is nice :-)
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:41 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i give 20 per cent... so i would have given her $20 but that is just me.. 15 is good.. especially for a budget.. and congrats on that fine experience.. isnt it just great..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:46 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with the 20%.
    Luv4Jafra

Answer by Luv4Jafra at 10:23 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• speaking from the stylist's point of view...i think you gave a fine tip, especially knowing your financial circumstance/the economy..any tip greater than 10% is appreciated, under any circumstance..i know that sounds weird, but bare with me..as a stylist, again in this downward economy, i do/will appreciate anything extra i get, but doubly appreciate RETURNING CLIENTS..so if you really liked the service you recieved, do her/him a big favor, and continue to be a client, even for the smaller services like haircuts...and refer your friends/family to that stylist!! good references are better than any kind of advertisement the stylist/salon could afford!!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think hair color and cut prices are more than what a lawyer or plumber make an hour. I think we've gone crazy with the cost in this area. Not that I don't appreciate my stylist. I give 15 percent. A little cheap but my bill is $200 with tip. I think it's plenty and my poor husband freaks every time. I am sure the salon takes a huge chunk of the bill so it seems a little unfair.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• jeanclaudia...last time i needed a plumber or a/c repair man, the cost was at least $75 just for coming out to the house, not to mention the cost of the job/materials..i don't think we make more than these men, and i'm sure a lawyer makes more than i do! we charge per service..no retainer fee, or fee for just showing up!! if you're unhappy with a $200 bill, then i'd advise you to look into another, cheaper, salon. . .but remember, you usually get what you pay for!!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yes, the salon usually takes a good chunk of the cost of the service. A tip is a tip - gratuity - its not mandatory, but greatly appreciated. If you're on a budget, what you gave was good. Its all up to the individual person. I've gotten anywhere from nothing to 15$ just on a 13$ haircut. Dont beat yourself up over it - just go by the golden rule if you have any doubts. Put yourself in their shoes and think what you would consider fair. =)
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 10:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2009