For ladies that had pre eclampsia or know someone that had it...

If you had a severe case of it, did you go on to have another pregnancy without having pre eclampsia? Do you know anyone that did?

I was in the hospital for 9 weeks and induced 5 weeks early because of it. I talked to my high risk OB about the chances of getting it again with another pregnancy and he said the chances are high...like 80-90%.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 25, 2012 in Health

• The risk of reoccurence depends on a number of factors, including age, severity, or if you have the same partner. Not everyone would have as high a risk level as yours.

My OB strongly recommended I not get pregnant again after my DD was born, but I also had some other health concerns. I came down with sudden severe pre-e at 33 weeks, and DD spent 4 weeks in the NICU. It's not something I'm willing to risk again.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:14 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I always said I wouldn't take the risk either. Especially since I'm 37 now. I think I'm about to have some crazy mid life crisis.
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I had pre-clampsia with my oldest but, not with my youngest.  My Dr. told me that it is extremely rare to have it again with a 2nd child who has the same father.  Something about how your body doesn't try to fight off the pregnancy due to being used to the genetic code (like immunity).  But, that I could develop it again with a different partner. 

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense!
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I had it with my oldest. No one told me I was at high risk to have it again, I had 2 more sons without having it again.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:36 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• Had it the first time not so bad tho just in the last week or so. No problems with the second at all.
    isabellah

Answer by isabellah at 3:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I also had it with my oldest but not with my youngest.
    danielleaube

Answer by danielleaube at 4:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I had pre-clamcia sp? I had it with babe no. 2.My friend also had with her 1st child. . The odds would increase after having PE that next pregnancy would be same. Still like another member said, next preg. may be just fine. With a history behind you, considered a risk.. BTW my friend's 2nd baby was fine- pregnanccy I mean! GL.
    momw2teens522

Answer by momw2teens522 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• I had Pre-E with my 1stI was 31yo) who was born at 36 weeks and didn't have ANY pre-e complications with my 2nd pregnancy(I was 36yo) but I was also on BP meds since shortly after my 1st was born.G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2012