Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

I really need opinions, adult protective services

Long story short my gma is not taking care of gpa, she's extremely neglectful giving him wrong meds etc... The nurses see it and are trying o get him moved to a hospice center but gma keeps blocking them. I don't know what to do, what are your opinions on aps? I'm so lost right now ugh

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 2:19 PM on Sep. 25, 2012 in Relationships

Level 40 (115,799 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Have to ask,but is she forgetful or confused.....or doing it on purpose?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • *Hugs* I would talk to the social worker at the hospital or the nurse to get advice on the steps you need to take. There has to be a way to force her to get the right treatment for your Gpa. Hang in there. :/

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • To be honest I have never had to deal with this sort of thing. Is it possible for all the familyto get together and talk to GMA? She may simply not be able to remembr or do the things she used to and does not want to be separated from GPA. She may be afraid of the cost. I judt don't know but I will be praying for you to get the answers you need.

    Answer by Dardenella at 2:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • She's doing it on purpose, she literally sits at her dining table n smokes cigarettes all day. She will wait until someone shows up and screams at them that he's hungry and they need to get their asses in gear and feed him. We're all like wtf you could have fed him instead of waiting and she just says its not my problem. She's a nutter always has been, but its getting worse.

    Comment by Mrs_Harsh (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • If your Gma is getting worse, is it possible that dementia is setting in? People with that or Alzheimers can get mean. Maybe if you can prove her to be incompetent, then someone else in the family can get a medical POA or Guardianship over Gpa & get him the care he needs.  Talk to a family lawyer or social worker at the hospital. 


    Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • ^^^ Yeah, you'll probably have to prove her incompetent, then try for guardianship of your grandpa. I'm so sorry Harshy.


    Answer by 3libras at 2:35 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • This is terrible. I don't think I wouldn't be able to do something about it, but they usually require a lot of proof of wrong doing before they will do something. If there are nurses that have witnessed it, they would be the best people to make a report and/or recommendation.


    Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • You need to talk to a social worker about this ASAP. The hospital will be able to get you in touch.

    Answer by SWasson at 3:17 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • I know there are elder services which is a lot like cps. Could you aybe get them to help you. They would be able to see that she is not able to care for him. They may also feel she can not care for herself. I would think they coulad at least give you some advice.

    Answer by Dardenella at 3:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

  • Many counties have services specifically devoted to this. Your grandmother could be hauled up on charges of elder abuse. You need to let her know to get out of the way of hospice or she's gonna wind up in the women's detention facility. And likely NOT allowed to smoke.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.