If my husband is paying child support, will we see any of his tax return?

My husband recently started getting his checks garnished a certain amount. We just did his taxes and "should" get a decent amount back. Now, will we see any of this? I don't mean see it go somewhere else! lol Or will his full return be taken due to owed child support?
I bring this question to you because CafeMom members know all!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• his back child support will come first. Whatever is left over is yours
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• if you have already filed go to IRS.gov and check the "where is my refund" if they have processed they will have a notice saying if they are taking part of his refund and I "think" (not 100%) they will tell you how much
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• he should get taxes back ...unless he owes back child support...in that case he would not get it back...so I suggest that if you usually file together..don't this year...file seperate...that way they take his not yours...and you will get something...but again...only if he owes back child support...
    Anonymous

• I worded my answer wrong before lol, I thought you were the one receiving child support. Your return goes to pay off what he owes in child support. If there's any left over, it is yours like Mikayla said.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Yes it will go to CS first. My DH pays also and he gets laid off in the winter months quit a bit and if he is at all behind they will take as much as he owes! And if you get it paid up and they owe you money back from your taxes they will take there sweet time getting it back to you. Just try to keep up with it then it will not seem to be so bad.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 12:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Child support if he is behind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yes they will take part of it but if you worked they cant take all of it..
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 12:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2009