what happens when you are lactose intolerant?

what happens when you are lactose intolerant and you drink milk???
is it possible to become lactose intolerant after 24 years of NOT being?
can pregnancy cause it?
everytime i drink milk, eat ice cream, or just a good amount of anything dairy since i have been pregnant, I get SUPER gasssy and end up running to the bathroom trying not to poo myself.....
and i have NEVER had this problem until i got pregnant this time around....????? HELP???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Health

• Yep, that sounds like lactose intolerance. It can vary from super gassy to runny poo. Yes, pregnancy can (and does) make huge changes in your body. Most are not permanent. I'd suggest you get some lactaid tablets. That should help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• thanks :)
    Anonymous

• I was lactose intolerant as a child and grew out of it. After getting pregnant, I noticed that I would have loose stools and gas after having dairy products (dairy products can make ANYONE gassy, that's just a bi-product of their digestion). Pregnancy does change your body and the baby does a number on those intestines (mine were super-squished!). I remember having extreme stomach cramps and pains and even trouble breathing when I had milk as a child. If you just have the runs, it could just be your changing body and not necessarily lactose intolerance. If you are afraid that it is, I would avoid dairy products and consult your doctor for other forms of Calcium (orange juice etc.). Having a full-blown allergic reaction to milk can be deadly. Milk was treated like poison in my household when I was a child.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:13 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I vomit...just thought I would toss that out there since we all ready covered loose stools. I am lactose intolerant. You can take Lactaid, but I am not sure about pregnant women. They do make Lactaid milk, you might want to try it. If not I think soy milk is good. Everyone around me thinks it's gross but hey, they are LI. i get sad sometimes because I genuinely like the tast of skim milk, but it makes me so sick.

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:48 AM on Feb. 8, 2009