9-11 GI Bill????

I AM ATTENDING AN ONLINE SCHOOL AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH CAN A PERSON GET FROM THIS VERSION OF THE GI BILL? I WAS ONLY ON ACTIVE DUTY ABOUT 4 OR 5 MONTHS BUT MY TOTAL AMOUNT OF TIME SERVED WAS ABOUT A YEAR. MY HUSBAND WAS ACTIVE FOR ALMOST 3 YEARS I KNOW HE WOULD QUALIFY. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE AMOUNT EITHER ONE OF US COULD RECIEVE TOWARDS SCHOOL???

ILYNAA

Asked by ILYNAA at 10:23 PM on Sep. 25, 2012 in Military

• Talk t the VA office at the local college
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• For the post 9-1-1 GI bill I almost certain you have to have a full enlistment for the benefits (which is 6 years). I know it is 6 years because you can transfer the benefits (only 2 more until DH can transfer the benefits so I can finish nursing school). I am not positive how that works after you are out though, I would contact military one source to get that info.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• Interesting
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:39 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• AF is right. You don't qualify.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• according to the website we do. it says you have to have been on active duty at least 90 days and it says you can only get a certain percentage. Im not sure if you are getting this one confused with the gi bill!
    ILYNAA

Comment by ILYNAA (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• That's why I said I didn't know. I had a regular GI bill. DH is transferring to the post 911 GI bill, and since we are still in, I don't know how the percentages works. All I know about it is that he has to be in for 6 years with another 4 year commitment before he can transfer the benefits to me or our kids.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2012

• You are eligible for 40%. Since you will be going to an online school, you will only get 40% of $684.00 for Monthly Housing Allowance. However, I do think they will pay for all of your tuition for the semester. If you attend a school where you can take classes at the campus then your Monthly Housing Allowance will be based off of an E-5 with dependents for the school location. 

http://gibill.va.gov/documents/pamphlets/ch33_pamphlet.pdf

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:06 PM on Sep. 26, 2012

• For the Montgomery GI Bill you have to have been active for a full year to receive benefits. For the Post 9-11 it is 90 days of consecutive service. You receive a percentage based on your actual time in. It also depends the codes on your DD214, why you were discharged.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:38 AM on Oct. 8, 2012

• I was discharged after 3 years active, a few months early from my ets date, and i was given 100%. it truly depends on situation, and no one here, unless they work for VA and know it off the cuff can help you. Call VA, or go to acs, or and acap center. they should have helped you figure some of this out during your outprocessing.
    but go check it out online.
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2012