can u smoke when breastfeeding?

is it ok or bad for the baby if i smoke while i breastfeed?

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you have to do it do it after you breast feed instead of before, and limit to no more than 10 a day
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• man... your not supposd to... its pretty bad... but i know what you mean... i do it...scretly...occassonally!!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't my self, I do not smoke any more, but people do!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• Well, it's bad for you, don't you think it's bad for your baby? I think this is a rather dumb question, because the answer is OBVIOUS. However, I understand that nicotine addiction is quite strong, especially when the smoker is stressed out. Try to cut down, seriously. Think about this, how could sucking on something and blowing SMOKE out of your body, possibly be good for anyone? I am not bashing you, my sister smoked during her pregnancy. I never did and never will approve, but I understand how difficult it is to quit. Just please try to quit. If it can kill grown human beings lungs, imagine what it can do to babies. I just want to help you find the strength, the health of your baby should help. Good Luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• sure, just don't be shocked when your 15 yr old is diagnosed with lung cancer.
    Anonymous

• No. It is not OK for the baby. Second hand smoke is horrible for those who breathe it in, especially small children. However, Third Hand smoke can also be just as bad. The term "Third Hand Smoke" refers to the toxic chemicals that are absorbed into things like upholstery and clothing due to cigarette smoke. It's in your hair, on your skin and on your clothes all things that the baby will be up against. You could be setting your child up for lung disease. Not to mention all of the toxic chemicals you are breathing in and could be passing to her in your breast milk (cyanide, nicotine and arsenic, just three of the many ingredients of cigarettes). 

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/health/research/03smoke.html?em

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• As you probably know, there are a million toxins and carcinogens in cigarettes. These are absorbed into your body when you smoke and get into your breastmilk. http://www.tobacco.org/news/276820.html Whether you smoke before or after you breastfeed, those toxins will still be in your system. If you don't want to pass on carcinogens into your baby's body, talk to your doctor for help. There are many new methods to help you quit smoking. It's not easy but it's been done! Good luck.
    newfaith

Answer by newfaith at 12:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Whatever you consume, goes into your breastmilk. Which means that your new baby will ingest tons of toxic chemicals and carcinogens. If you can't give up smoking, it would be smart not to breastfeed. I believe it would be best for you and your baby to give up smoking and to nurse. It's for his health.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:25 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• The Center for Disease Control actually says that smoking while breastfeeding is better than formula feeding.

Try to cut down.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 12:30 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• NO ITS BAD> whatever you put in your body is what your giving to your baby.
    ashcoyle

Answer by ashcoyle at 1:00 AM on Feb. 8, 2009