memory problems as a disability

So I am wondering how someone can have such poor memory (like short term memory deficit) that they are not able to hold down a job, and it is considered a disability, yet they can drive a car and feel okay raising their children. I mean if you cannot remember simple minimum wage tasks then what business would you have behind the wheel of a vehicle or taking care of small children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• None I suppose, I mean how would you remember if you gave your child medicine or not?
    All the things you have to remember for them for school. I suppose you could write it down in big red letters.............but wait! What if they forget to write in big red letters! LOL, seems like they could write down basic instructions they would learn at a min. wage job.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I call BS on someone like that seriously, if you can raise a child you can work a job, its as simple as that to me
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2009

• I totally agree w/hautemama83.

PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:16 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• So, you can't remember how to say stock a shelf or run a register but you can remember how to drive....hmmm...I could possibly see raising kids...well wait...no my granny started to lose some of her short term memory after her stroke and she used to forget to turn off the stove...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:54 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have long term and short term memory loss.
    If I don't write something down or do it over and over again a million times so it becomes engrained into my brain, then I actually do not remember.
    I don't know how many times my children and husband have told me that they told me something a little while ago when I ask them about it.
    At work I used to forget that I had asked a customer a question already and they would get peeved when I asked them again (I was a cashier). Fortunately, a computer did all the work for me so all I had to do was press the correctly marked buttons and read the screen. But I would have to write things down all the time in order to remember them. I was able to work successfully and ended up being trained in all the departments so that I was versatile and I was very thorough at what I did.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009